• Category: Programming

Migrate Webforms to MVC and use standard datasets instead of entity models

Interested in migrating webforms? wondering how to use datasets instead of entities? Check out response from experts on this page.

I have been thinking a lot about migrating my reporting application from Webforms to MVC. So, kindly help me know What are the prerequisites (Knowledge, Hardware etc / Any) for doing so?

Also, I have a major doubt regarding the models. From my understanding, we use model classes as objects to store the data from DB and it has a predefined structure. But in my application, I use datasets and I dont want to define the dataset structure'. Also, I can directly bind it to gridview to render reports. I am not exactly sure how to do this in MVC. Since MVC models should have a predefined structure, should i create 1000 models for rendering my 1000 reports
    Experts: do assist.
  • #145448
    You are thinking a lot about migrating my reporting application from Webforms to MVC.we all use model classes as objects to store the data from DB and it has a predefined structure. MVC structure is quite easy and we can define all models and entities in different.But in your application, you use datasets and you dont want to define the dataset structure'. Yes you can create 1000 models for rendering my 1000 reports.Once you decide to work with MVC forms, you can start creating MVC forms from scratch and have full control over the form markup with the MVC convention-based framework.when you worked web forms previously and you want to keep using the form content, layout, and fields, you can migrate old web forms to MVC forms, instead of making the same form configurations from scratch.

When you migrating your web forms the new MVC forms will:

>> Have the same name as the old web forms with an _MVC suffix at the end
    >> Use Feather MVC fields that replace the equivalent web forms fields
    >> Have the same settings and configuration of the form fields
    >> Have the same layouts migrated to the Feather grid equivalent, so the positions of the widgets are preserved
    >> Have form responses and subscriptions migrated as well.