Eligibility for teaching in high school

Interested in teaching in high school? Wondering about the eligibility criteria? Find advice from career guidance experts here.

I have completed my M.Sc in Food Science and Nutrition. I have worked for 2 yrs in hospital as a dietitian and 1 yr as a visiting faculty in college. But I want to join school as a home science teacher.
    Am I eligible to work as Home science teacher?
  • #137560
    The minimum prescribed qualification for a secondary / high school (class IX-X) is graduation or a post graduation degree from a recognized university with at least 50% marks either at graduation level or at post graduation level or its equivalent and a B.Ed degree from a NCTE recognized institution or a four year B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed. degree from a NCTE recognized institution.
    For senior secondary /Intermediate (class XI-XII) teachers, the minimum prescribed qualification is a post graduation degree from a recognized university with at least 50% marks either at graduation level or at post graduation level or its equivalent and a B.Ed/B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed. degree from a NCTE recognized institution.
    The author may therefore consider completing a B.Ed/B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed. degree from a NCTE recognized institution for becoming eligible to become a teacher.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• #137576
    You have done your Post-Graduation in Food Science and Nutrition which is a part of Home Science. Now, to become a Home Science teacher for senior students (XI-XIIth; because Home Science is generally not being taught as a separate subject in lower classes), you are required to obtain a B.Ed. degree from a UGC-recognised University. Please take note that the B.Ed. degree must be recognised (nowadays there are some controversies on B.Ed. degrees of some Universities) and your University must also be recognised by the UGC.

• #137630
    Yes definitely as your a PG graduate and was working in college as visiting faculty. You are eligible to work as home Science teacher