Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Other Jobs »

Can I graduate in criminal law?

Date: 22 Jul 2016   Posted By: sakshi     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Other Jobs   

I am in my final year of undergraduate in Biotechnology (bachelors degree). I am confused about my career. I don't want to go into this field or research field.
I basically want to be a lawyer; but now that I have wasted 4 years majoring in Biotechnology which is something that I never wanted in the first place. I don't know what to do. I want to major in criminal justice law.
Do I go for under-graduation again? Or is it too late?

also it is high time that I should probably start earning and get a job. But I don't think I could get a job since every job today requires the knowledge of either computer languages or business or finance.

I want to study criminal psychology or be a criminal justice lawyer. Is there any possibility of getting into a college? I am not eligible enough to attend Masters in law.

Can I get a Masters degree in law after my bachelors in Biotech?

Experts: do advice.

Confused about your career? Want to move from Biotechnology to criminal law? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    22 Jul 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are in the final year in your undergraduate programme in Biotechnology and withdrawing the course at this stage would mean total wastage of your labour and time. Wastage of four years is a colossal loss and you have to start a fresh for the course of criminal law.
Even if you succeeded in getting admission in this subject, what is the guarantee that you would be developing interest in this field. Considering the total span of time, which in that case would be to the extent of seven years and that, too, when you are able to pass it at the first instance.
Time and right selection of the course, both are equally important. Hence it would not be advisable to change your stance at this moment.
Biotechnology is itself a subject having the tremendous demand in both research and pharmaceutical fields. You would land into a job having attractive emoluments apart from accelerated growth in your job - career with the progress of time.
Your exposure with the computer would not take much time if you have inclination for that. You need not think for the minor things coming in your way and such issues can be sorted out easily.

Author: Kailash Kumar    23 Jul 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Generally many students who aspire to study law, appear in Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for admission in five year integrated under graduate law courses leading to the award of a degree in law . There is no upper age limit is prescribed for appearing in CLAT. The minimum eligibility criteria for appearing in CLAT is a pass in 10+2 or equivalent examination with minimum 45% marks of general and OBC category candidates and 40% in case of SC/ST candidates. Admission in 17 participating universities spread all over India is made on the basis of CLAT score.
Since the author has completed a graduation degree, he may opt for admission in LLB course directly which is of 3 years duration. Many law entrance examinations are conducted by various institutions and the author may select the same pertaining to the region/location of his choice.
However direct admission to masters degree course in law is possible only after completing the undergraduate degree in law i.e. LLB.