Main ingredients of Chyawanprash are:-
a) Several herbs- Increases efficiency of working of lungs.
b) Emblica officinalis (gooseberry)- It is rich in Vitamin C. It increases immunity which fights with both infections and inflammation.
c) Ghee- It provides sufficient strength to the body.
d) Sugar- It masks the taste of certain spices making Chyawanprash edible.
e) Sesame oil- Improves brain function.
f) Ashvagandha- Memory enhancer.
Other ingredients are:-
- Malabar nut,
- Ice plant,
- Black gram and green gram of wild variety,
- Bambusa arundinaceae,
- Calcium sulphate which is calcined,
- Calcined mica,
- Adhatoda vasica,
- Shweta chandan (white sandalwood),
- Cardamom green,
- Pippali (Piper longum),
- Cyperus rotundus,
- Asparagus racemosus,
- Bay leaf,
- Black pepper,
- Cardamom black,
- Dried ginger roots,
- Processing solution,
- Preservative is sodium benzoate etc.....
Adverse effects of Chyawanprash:-
1) Burning sensation in stomach.
2) Loose stools.
3) If quantity in increased then can cause weight gain due to excess content of ghee in it as well as not good for diabetic patients in excess quantity as it can increase their blood sugar level due to the presence of sugar and honey in it.