Himalayan black salt is a rock salt. It is also known as bit lobon, kala loon etc..... No, it is not found in oceans. It is found in natural Hines from mines of various areas as well as from Himalayan salt ranges. There are also certain salt lakes like Sambhar, Didwana where rock salt is found.
1. Rock salt crystals are black in color.
2. Powdered black salt appears pink in color.
3. It mainly consists sodium chloride.
4. It contains traces of sodium bi-sulfate, sodium sulfide, iron sulfide, hydrogen sulfide and sodium bi-sulfide.
5. It is sour in taste.
6. It smells similar to rotten hard boiled egg.
4. Stimulant for digestive system
5. Helps in burning stored fat from fat reservoirs
6. Anti flatulent
7. Helps in production of RBC's
8. It raises the heamoglobin level in blood
9. It is adaptogenic
Through a method known as reductive chemical process, raw black salt is converted into commercially available black salt. Sodium sulfate is converted into hydrogen sulfide and sodium sulfide. Raw salt is sealed in a ceramic apparatus and is then fired for almost 24 hours with the help of charcoal. Along with raw black salt in large quantity some small amounts of harad seeds, amla, natron etc..... are also burnt. Once done, salt is cooled completely and stored carefully and is then allowed to go through aging process.
Synthetically, black salt is produced by mixing sodium chloride with sodium sulfate, sodium bisulfate and ferric sulfate. Once mixed the mixture is then subjected to reduction process in a furnace.
All the sulfur compounds present in black salt are responsible for that pungent smell it has. Hydrogen sulfide is mainly responsible for giving it its distinctive smell.
1. Chaat masala cannot be prepared without adding black salt in it. Black salt is the one which is responsible to give chaat masals that pungent smell as well as that slightly sour taste.
2. Since its aroma is more like that of hard boiled egg, it is very much appreciated by vegans.
3. It is good for digestion.
4. It acts as a laxative agent.
5. It is known to cure goitre disease.
6. It relieves acidity and heart burn.
7. It is used as a condiment as well as added to number of snacks giving them a special touch.
8. It is used in the treatment of hysteria.
9. It along with other ingredients is used to make toothpastes.
10. Used to treat poor eye sight and other eye related troubles.
11. Can be used during dieting.
12. Can be used by high blood pressure patients.
13. Useful in abdominal distension.
14. Useful in the treatment of abdominal discomfort and cramps or pain.
15. Useful to treat skin diseases and skin related disorders.
16. Since it can burn fat, it is helpful in treatment of obesity.
17. It relieves bloating.
18. It helps to relive intestinal gastric troubles.
19. It increases appetite.
20. It is helpful in the production of RBC's and increasing the level of hemoglobin in blood. Thus, also helpful in the treatment of anemia.
1. Low in iodine content when compared to table salt.
2. It cannot be used in excess in our foods as that pungent smell and distinctive taste will make the food difficult to be edible. Thus, careful addition of black salt or slight sprinkle should be done on foods.
Here are the links which describes in detail about black salt:-