Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Engineering Jobs »

Need expert advice for career planning and step by step guide to be a civil Designer

Date: 28 Jul 2016   Posted By: Tahir Shaikh     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Engineering Jobs   

I am a civil engineering student in 3rd semester now. I need expert advice on career strategy. I want to be a professional designer in this field and want to earn before my 5th semester. What I should do? Which books should I read? I believe in self knowledge. Which software should I learn? Can you provide step by step advice and learning advice for earning?
Experts: do advice.

Confused about your career? Wondering how to become a professional civil designer? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    30 Jul 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Basically, the civil designers use computer aided design (CAD) programs to draft, scale, and fine tune drawings for buildings, roads, bridges, and such other construction projects. However, the core competency has to be in the area of civil engineering besides knowledge of computer programs such as AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Microsoft Office etc. Thorough, familiarization with the building codes, standards, and specification is also required.
In my opinion, the author should do extra hard work in learning all aspects the civil engineering besides the related computer programs. The main foundation will remain the civil engineering as only the principles of civil engineering learned during studies will be applied later in computer programs.