Civil service exam plus higher study

Date: 05 Aug 2016   Posted By: Rakesh Tudu     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I have completed graduation with chemistry (hons.). I want to prepare for civil service exam. I have decided to join coaching and choose geography as my optional subject.
I also want to do MSC from IGNOU.
Tell me which subject to choose in MSC OR what should I do?
Experts: do respond.

Want to give civil service exam along with higher studies? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    06 Aug 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

I have read your question. My comments are as under:-
(a) You should start preparation for Civil Services Examination as early as possible. It is really good that you are planning for CSE while doing your Post-Graduation.
(b) Give maximum importance on General Studies. Read newspapers and periodicals (Yojana, CSR, GK Today, Outlook, etc.).
(c) Study Chemistry in Post-Graduation from IGNOU.
(d) Take Chemistry as optional in Prelim, only if you are confident. Otherwise, go for Geography.
(e) Take Chemistry and Geography as optionals in the Main.
(f) If possible, take admission in a GD coaching.

Best of Luck!

Author: Kailash Kumar    07 Aug 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The target should be set to clear the civil services examination, instead of only preparing for the civil services examination. The author will have to focus fully on preparation for clearing all the three stages of the civil services examination i.e. preliminary examination, main examination and the personal interview stage.
What were the other subjects which were studied by the author in his graduation program for completing B.Sc. ?
He has to select only those subjects in which he finds himself comfortable enough to be able to clear the examination.
It will be better if the subject chosen for pursuing M.Sc. is same which is taken for the coveted civil services examination as studying the same will contribute toward preparation for both the M.Sc. and competitive examination.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    07 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

In order to qualify the Civil - services Examination, you have to clear three different stages, such as preliminary, main and viva.
For the preliminary test, you have to focus on the latest developments of our country including the latest news of the worlds. For this, you have to refer to a leading news - paper such as Times of India, Hidustan Times, The Hindu etc. At the same time, you have to strengthen your English including its Grammar. In this connection, you may approach a coaching institute of repute which you help you in achieving your target level.
For the main Examination, selection of the papers are important. You may choose the papers even if you have not studied the same in the gradualion - level such as Geography, Philosophy, History etc. Choose the papers with which you are extremely confident. You may seek the help of reputed coaching institute in this direction.
To achieve success in the personnel - interview would much depend upon your extensive knowledge in current affairs, your expertise in the presentation, patience and the manner how you would be responding on the Board of interview.
You need to make a pragmatic planning in order to clear the Civil - services Examination.