The literal meaning of the word 'franking' is an official mark or signature on a letter or parcel to indicate that postage has been paid or does not need to be paid.
A postal franking machine is a stamping machine intended to stamp impressions of dies of approved design on private and official postal articles in payment of postage and postal fees.
A licence for the use of Franking Machine is required to be taken from the Department of Posts'
The following are the authorized dealers of the postal franking machine in India -
1. M/s. Roneo-Vickers India Ltd., 184 Jor Bagh, New Delhi-110003.
2. M/s. Gillanders Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd., Gillanders House, Post Box 174,
Kolkatta - 700001.
3. M/s. Macneil & Magor Ltd., 2 Fairlie Place, Kolkatta - 700001.
4. M/s. Postalia Interfrank Pvt. Ltd., 1/13, Edward Elliots Road, Chennai - 600004.
5. Northern Zone distributors –
M/s. Continental Commercial Co. Ltd., M-
43. Block Connaught circus, New Delhi-110001
Eastern Zone Distributor.
M/s. Continental Commercial Co. Ltd., 8/1, Dalhousie Square, East,
Kolkatta - 70001 and
Southern Zone Distributors M/s. Sarada Agencies,
1/155, Mount Road, Chennai – 60002
6. Messrs. Business Forms Limited, 6-A Middleton Street, Kolkatta-700071
More details can be seen at -http://www.indiapost.gov.in/pdf/manuals/po_guide_part-1.pdf
Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.