• Category: Teaching Jobs

Eligibility requirements to become a Law Professor in India

Want to teach law in an Indian educational institute? Know from the responses below the eligibility criteria to take up the post of a law professor in India.

I am an SYBCom. student from Mumbai. I aspire to become a Law professor at a higher level. I read somewhere that a B.Ed. is essential to become a teacher and in another source I read that NET exams have to be cleared to become a teacher. So I am really confused. Can someone please guide me as to how I can become a law professor in India?
  • #138051
    The eligibility criteria for recruitment to the post of law professors is as follows -
    1. Assistant Professor (Law) - Good academic record with at least 55% marks in the LL.M. Degree. Also, the candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC, CSIR or similar test accredited by the UGC like SLET/SET.
    However, the candidates who have been awarded a Ph.D. Degree, are exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET.
    A Ph.D. Degree is a mandatory qualification for the direct appointment of Professors/Associate Professors as well as for promotion as Professors/Associate Professors.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• #138798
    You can become a lecturer of Law after obtaining LLM Degree from a recognised University and after qualifying the National Eligibility Test (NET). For a General Category candidate, a student has to secure minimum 55% marks in the qualifying examination (in the present case, LLM) to appear in NET. SC/ST/OBC/PH candidates get relaxation in respect of percentage. However, PhD Degree holders are not required to appear in NET.

B.Ed. degree is not necessary for lectureship in colleges.