Ask Experts » Education » India Educational Consultants »

Is a Distance degree qualification eligible for Assistance Professor post?

Date: 17 Aug 2016    Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I have completed my full-time M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D (Biochemistry-Zoology). Then I got a post as Assistance Professor in biochemistry (Unaided College), Hakeem College. There I worked for three years. While working I have finished my M.Sc Zoology in Distance Education. I have an interest in teaching only. Am I eligible for lecturer post in Zoology department for aided colleges and Government colleges? Please advise.

Doubtful of whether a distance degree qualification makes you eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in a government college? Get your doubt dispelled with expert guidance here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    18 Aug 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Since the author is already having the full-time M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D. (Biochemistry-Zoology) as mentioned by him, he is very well eligible to apply for the post of the lecturer in any college.

However, the actual recruitment will be made by the competent authority after taking into consideration the comparative merit of the other applicants also. Any post or job cannot be claimed as a matter of right.

Regarding, degrees earned through the distance learning mode, as far as I know generally there is no such bar provided the degree/institutions are recognized by the competent authorities.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    20 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Since the author does possess full time degrees in M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D to his credit and so there is no question of deprivation for the post of Lecturership in any college.
However, the process of selection involves a number of parameters such as the command over the subject, ability to represent the issues in an effective way and the scores in the different examinations.
With respect to degrees earned through the distance education, there is no such demarcation provided it is earned through a recognised institution having recognition through UGC such as Indira Gandhi Open University, SMU, Utkal University, Symbosis institute etc.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    20 Aug 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The author wants to become a lecturer in Zoology. He/She has done M.Sc. in Zoology in Distance Education mode. I would advise the author to check the validity of his/her M.Sc. (Zoology) degree from UGC. Thereafter, if he/she has scored more than 55% in his M.Sc. (50% for reserved categories), he/she is required to appear and qualify the NET in Zoology. Only after qualifying the NET, he/she would be able to apply for the post of Lecturer in Zoology.

Author: Taksha Singh    21 Aug 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

You have already completed your Master's with full time course- , M.Phil & PhD.

There is no doubt in your eligibility.Yes you are eligible for assistant professor post in govt .college.

For this you have to give the UGC NET Entrance exam. If you get selected in UGC NET Exam than you will be posted as a Assistant professor post in Govt. College.

As per the UGC NET Notification now UGC NET Exam will be
conducted in December so you start the preparation for that.
All the best~~

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.