Is a Distance degree qualification eligible for Assistance Professor post?

Doubtful of whether a distance degree qualification makes you eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in a government college? Get your doubt dispelled with expert guidance here.

I have completed my full-time M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D (Biochemistry-Zoology). Then I got a post as Assistance Professor in biochemistry (Unaided College), Hakeem College. There I worked for three years. While working I have finished my M.Sc Zoology in Distance Education. I have an interest in teaching only. Am I eligible for lecturer post in Zoology department for aided colleges and Government colleges? Please advise.
  • #138152
    Since the author is already having the full-time M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D. (Biochemistry-Zoology) as mentioned by him, he is very well eligible to apply for the post of the lecturer in any college.

However, the actual recruitment will be made by the competent authority after taking into consideration the comparative merit of the other applicants also. Any post or job cannot be claimed as a matter of right.

Regarding, degrees earned through the distance learning mode, as far as I know generally there is no such bar provided the degree/institutions are recognized by the competent authorities.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• #138187
    Since the author does possess full time degrees in M.Sc, M.Phil, Biochemistry and Ph.D to his credit and so there is no question of deprivation for the post of Lecturership in any college.
    However, the process of selection involves a number of parameters such as the command over the subject, ability to represent the issues in an effective way and the scores in the different examinations.
    With respect to degrees earned through the distance education, there is no such demarcation provided it is earned through a recognised institution having recognition through UGC such as Indira Gandhi Open University, SMU, Utkal University, Symbosis institute etc.

• #138193
    The author wants to become a lecturer in Zoology. He/She has done M.Sc. in Zoology in Distance Education mode. I would advise the author to check the validity of his/her M.Sc. (Zoology) degree from UGC. Thereafter, if he/she has scored more than 55% in his M.Sc. (50% for reserved categories), he/she is required to appear and qualify the NET in Zoology. Only after qualifying the NET, he/she would be able to apply for the post of Lecturer in Zoology.

• #138201
    You have already completed your Master's with full time course- M.sc , M.Phil & PhD.

There is no doubt in your eligibility.Yes you are eligible for assistant professor post in govt .college.

For this you have to give the UGC NET Entrance exam. If you get selected in UGC NET Exam than you will be posted as a Assistant professor post in Govt. College.

As per the UGC NET Notification now UGC NET Exam will be
    conducted in December so you start the preparation for that.
    All the best~~