How to get admission in an engineering college?

Date: 23 Aug 2016   Posted By: Md Abdul Mohit     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

Now I am in class 12 Science in WBHSE. My subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics as well as Bengali and English. I want to take admission after 12th in engineering. I don't want to sit for JEE exam. What should I do to get admission in engineering? Should I take admission in a polytechnic college? Or is there any other way? How much do I need to score?
Experts: do respond.

Wondering how to get admission in an engineering college without giving JEE? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: Seema Shah    24 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

You have asked a very tricky question, wherein you are expecting an alternative path (not JEE) to get into the engineering stream. This is a short cut, if I may say so.

What should I do to get admission in engineering?
Frankly you have the following options:
1. Select a college/ university which provides admission to engineering through university/ institute/ college level entrance exam. The syllabi is very limited and covers what you have studied in XIIth. For example: Manipal, NMIMS-MPSTME, BITS have their own entrance exams. You can comfortably prepare for them along with XIIth college and manage to score well.
2. Select a college which has management quota seats. Check their requirements. Some colleges provide management seats based on only XIIth score.
3. Take admission in a polytechnic college and complete your diploma course. You need to score well. Then you can apply directly to second year of the corresponding engineering stream. Note that you need to select or choose your stream carefully right after Xth. You will next need only 3 years to complete your engineering degree.
4. Some colleges like MPSTME-NMIMS offer BTech Integrated course which can be chosen directly after Xth and you get a dual degree comprising of Diploma and Degree.

Regarding this question: How much do I need to score?
The cutoffs are available on the college website/ available on request / on State level DTE-- Directorate of Technical Education site. Based on these cutoffs you can decide the expected score.

Overall I would like to advice the following:
The safest options look like 2,3,4 provided you are not running on a tight budget.

Hope the above answer will be worthwhile to resolve your query.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    24 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There are several options to get admission in an Engineering - college without going through the IIT test. These options are indicated below-
1) On the basis of your class twelve marks, you may get direct admission in a private Engineering college in the Management quota. Such colleges are situated in Orissa, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra etc where the admission in the stream of your choice can be achieved by paying the fee as decided by the Management.
2) Take admission in any reputed Polytechnique and get distinction marks in the stream you are pursuing and on that basis you may get admission in the second year in a reputed Engineering college thereby curtailing one year of completion of the Engineering degree course.
3) By completing the diploma in your selected stream, you may pursue AMIE regarded as equivalent to degree in Engineering and the same has the approval of the ministry of HRD. This can be done even if you have secured a job on the strength of your diploma course.
4) Manipal, BIT Meshra and BIT Pilani have their own system of Entrance test and for which a little effort has to be made to clear the entrance test comprising Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics of standard twelve already taught in your board examination.
5) State board of Technical Education of all the states conduct their own tests to fill up the seats in the Engineering colleges. These tests are not tough as compared to IIT. You may take the help of a reputed coaching institute in this direction to secure your seat in a Regional Engineering college.
You may choose any one of the routes as mentioned above.

Author: Ravi    25 Aug 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Without appearing for JEE Main, you can also get admission in an engineering college. For this, you can take direct admission in any engineering college where there is seats reserved for management quota candidates.
For this, you may have to pay some extra fees for admission in comparison to regular students who get admission through Counselling process after giving entrance exam.
Apart from JEE, there are other engineering colleges like VIT, BITS, SRM University, KIT. These reputed universities conduct their own entrance exams for the candidates who wish to take admission in these universities.
After qualifying the entrance exam, you will be called for counselling process at a specific date and venue.