Rheumatism which is popularly known as rheumatic disorder. Several disorders affecting muscles, joints, bones all come under rheumatic disorder. More severe form of these disorders result in destruction of bones and organs known as inflammatory rheumatic disorders. It is an illness that is very devastating and painful where more and more patients are suffering from progressive disability.
Types of rheumatism:-
1) Articular rheumatism- It affects joints.
c)Rheumatoid arthritis etc.....
2)Non-articular rheumatism- It affects muscles and soft tissues.
Precautions to prevent rheumatism:-
1) Regular physical exams should be done and doctor should be informed about any family history of rheumatoid arthritis which will result in early diagnosis before pain and swelling starts developing in muscles and joints leading and making way for the disease.
2) Rheumatoid factor test and Anti-CCP antibody tests help in diagnosing this disorder.
3) Early diagnosis will help a person to start early treatment and thereby ruling out the risk of further worsening of the situation.
4) If rheumatism runs in family then doctor can make a customized preventive plan and as per that physical therapy, diet and medication which are included in plan, a person can prevent this disorder for a prolonged duration.
5) Light strength training exercises are good and thus should be done at least 4 times a week.
6) Regular daily walks for a duration of 30 to 60 minutes can keep these sorts of disorders at bay resulting in good muscles and joints.
7) Follow a good balanced healthy nutritious diet which provides lots of nutrients that are essential for healthy working of muscles, cartilage and bones.
8) Weight should be within normal range. Under weight or over weight of an individual can be risky. Excess of weight can cause stress in bones.
Yes, women are more prone for rheumatism when compared to men and this is because women have two X-chromosomes whereas men has one X-chromosome and one Y-chromosome. There is a genetic association between X-chromosome and rheumatism.
Rheumatism cannot be cured but certain combination of therapy and medicines are seen to prove beneficial in patients. Certain such treatments include:-
1) Low impact non stressful cardio exercises.
2) Low resistance exercises for strength training leading to flexibility.
3) Lots of stretching exercises.
4) Corticosteroid drugs.
5) Anti-inflammatory and antimalarial drugs.
6) Prosthetic joint replacement surgery.
7) Hip replacement surgery.
8) Total knee surgery.
Yes, natural therapies like Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Unani, Siddha etc can be followed which will greatly help in relieving symptoms of rheumatism. Some of the natural treatments that can be used are:-
1) Using ice packs on the affected areas.
2) Making use of steam bath or heat packs on the affected areas.
3) Hot water tub is also very beneficial for relaxing muscles and joints.
4) Magnets help in relieving pain and thus can be made use in the form of bracelets, pads, discs etc.....
5) Muscle relaxation techniques along with deep breathing exercises relaxes muscles, takes away any stress and at the same time improves flexibility.
6) Acupuncture which makes use of fine needles can be of great benefit.
7) Meditation is also very beneficial.
8) Fish oil supplements help in rheumatism.
9) Ayurvedic treatments include massaging affected areas with combination of camphor dipped in mustard oil and consuming sprouted green grams twice a day with garlic gloves.
10) Homeopathic treatments include prescription of homeopathic medicines like causticum, caulophyllum, colchicum, bryonia etc.....