Public Sector Undertakings(PSU's) in India have made GATE score as the primary criteria for selecting or recruiting engineers.
There are a total of 36 Public Sectors which use GATE score for screening and recruiting on entry level. Some of them are:-
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd,
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd,
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd,
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation,
- Coal India,
- Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd,
- Odisha Power Generation Corporation,
- Airport Authority of India,
- National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd,
- National Highways Authority of India,
- Central Electronics Ltd,
- Mazagon Dock Ltd,
- THDC Ltd,
- Ircon International Ltd etc.....
Notifications pertaining to recruitment of engineers is released from these companies soon after GATE releases its notification. Indian Oil Corporation was the first Government run organization which recruited engineers on basis of GATE score. Soon after it, National Thermal Power Corporation, Bharat Electronics and many such companies too adopted the same policy. Now a total of 36 Government run organizations have joined hands with GATE organizing committee.