Choosing books for preparation of GATE exam

Date: 30 Aug 2016   Posted By: Md Shahwaz Alam     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

Now I am in 1st yr Civil branch.. I want to prepare for GATE exam. I am good in studies. But I don't know about which books to use.
Can you provide advice regarding which books to use?
How much time should I give to GATE preparation along with my college education?
Awaiting guidance.

Looking out for GATE civil books? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    30 Aug 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

GATe examination is conducted in 23 disciplines/subjects. However, the candidates are allowed to appear in only of the subjects. Therefore, first of all, the author should decide about the subject in which he intends to appear in the GATE examination.

The website address of GATe 2017 is - http://www.gate.iitr.ernet.in/. Though the author will become eligible to appear in the GATE examination only after completing the degree or while studying in the final year of the degree program, he may visit the website of GATE 2017 to know the basics of the GATE examination.

Civil engineering is listed as one of the subjects of the GATE. Since presently the author is studying in the first year of the degree program, he may focus fully on his degree syllabus without bothering for additional books. Clearing fundamentals of all subjects taught in the degree program will help in clearing GATE examination also.

Author: Paresh Gujarati    07 Sep 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

As you are in First year of B.E. Civil and you have complete four year time to have proper and effective preparation of GATE. This exam is all about testing your aptitude in engineering which you will be learning in Civil engineering.

I am currently pursuing PhD from NIT Surat. I also did the M.Tech in NIT Surat. The entrance exam i.e. GATE is very important to enter into IITs and NITs.

No need to buy any prescribed book for GATE according to me. I have followed following habits during my BE.

1. I have compared the syllabus of all those subjects which are common in both BE and GATE.
2. I started making notes of all important formulas and theory for GATE point of views
3. Always learn principle behind the every theory you learn. GATE is all about checking your learning capabilities not mugging capacities.
4. You should solve old questions papers once a particular subject is over and you will be able to answer those questions related to subject from old papers.
5. You can even refer to online resources like NPTEL and MIT Open sources which are best in terms of quality learning.
6. Have a proper way to do preparation.