• Category: Hardware

What should be the RAM capacity of my PC?

Wondering about RAM capacity of a PC? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

I have Intel core 2 duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80ghz with Motherboard HCL Infosystems Limited, BIOS For GA-G31M-S2L,PCI-E-1.1. Can you tell me what should be maximum amount of RAM I can use in windows 7 64bit. Currently I am using 3 GB of RAM.
    Experts: do advice.
  • #138376
    Windows 7 can run just fine on RAM above 1GB. If you have 3GB means the operating system should function just fine. Do note that the application you are using often require more than the that may affect the OS performance. So it helps if you have 3GB and more RAM as that much RAM is sufficient for OS along with the apps that demand more RAM. For Windows 10 and onwards, you'd find that it'd be smoother experience if you have 4GB RAM in the laptop or the PC. Most likely the lower RAM would affect the operating systems after the Windows 7. So you should definitely consider upgrading once you have the Windows 10. If you are planning for this upgrade then think about increasing the size of the RAM.

• #138397
    Maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions must be 4GB, and the OS that your installing is windows 7 64 bit. It actually depends on the edition that your using.
    Windows 7 Starter needs 8GB RAM
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Professional: 192GB
    Enterprise: 192GB
    Ultimate: 192GB
    So please let me know the details of the OS that your using or else you only can check the specifications required in your OS software CD.

• #140350
    I want to clear something first. "Minimum requirements" and "capacity" are totally a different things. Minimum requirements of RAM is depended on the OS you are using. And the capacity of the RAM is depended on the Mother Board you are using.

As per your Mother Board you can use 2 x DDR2 4 GB of system memory. That's mean you can use maximum 8GB RAM.

As you are using windows 7 64bit, it is advisable to use 4GB RAM.