Ask Experts » Career Guidance » HR Jobs »

Am I eligible for PhD in HRM, after MBA in Marketing?

Date: 30 Aug 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: HR Jobs   

I have done BCA followed by MBA in Marketing in 2012. I did not get any job in marketing as companies are thinking that I am soft spoken girl. Then I joined a software company as a Software Control Librarian. Now three years are completed and I am planning to switch. But i am not getting job anywhere as there is no jobs for software librarians.
Then I did SAP MM course and no one hiring me as I am fresher in SAP. So I am planning to pursue PhD in HRM.
Is it possible to do PhD in HRM because I have done MBA in marketing? And what are the career options after getting a Doctorate degree in HRM?

Unsure whether MBA Marketing can do a PhD in HRM? Find advice from experts on this page.

Author: NK SHARMA    04 Sep 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Once you have done MBA in marketing and having experience in that field then do PhD in marketing only. I do not think you will be allowed to do PhD in HRM. for doing PhD you have to pass the NET exam conducted by UGC twice every year. how to prepare for NET, read my article here by clicking on the topic
How to prepare for UGC NET (National Eligibility Test for research scholarship and lectureship)?

Author: Partha Kansabanik    04 Sep 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

As you have completed your MBA in Marketing, in all probability, the guide would advise you to chose a topic on marketing, instead of HRM/HRD. However, if you qualify NET and pursue PhD after obtaining JRF, you may persuade your guide for an HR topic, because NET Management question paper gives equal preference to all major specialisation in MBA.