• Category: Beauty

What is Lasik eye surgery?

Searching for details about lasik eye surgery? Check out advice from experts on this page.

Recently one of my friend has undergone through lasik eye surgery. Now he has got good vision. I would like to know about this type of eye surgery. Also what will be the cost of this surgery in India?
    Experts: do advice.
  • #138553
    LASIK stands for Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis which means using a laser underneath a corneal flap (in situ) to reshape the cornea (keratomileusis). It is a popular surgical procedure to correct vision of persons who are suffering from conditions like nearsighted, farsighted or have astigmatism.

A highly specialized laser known as the excimer laser is used to surgically correct refractive errors, improve vision and reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses. The transparent front covering of the eye is known as the cornea and the LASIK procedure is performed to change the shape of the cornea.

In the human eyes, the front portion cornea/lens focusses the incoming light on the surface of the retina which is situated on the rear part of the eye. In case of normal eyes, the image gets focussed exactly on the retina and any mismatch in the system is called a refractive error. There are generally three types of refractive errors - myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism.

During the procedure, numbing drops are used therefore this procedure is associated with very little pain, no bandages or stitches are required and it results in a dramatic reduction in eyeglass or contact lens dependence. However, it is a complex technical procedure and should be performed by expert surgeons only. In rare cases, it may result in complications also.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• #138557
    LASIK eye surgery is one of the best surgery to get rid of eye glasses and contact lenses. It is very useful for those people who depends on eye glasses to enhance their visions. Such people find uncomfortable when they wear eye glasses all the time except sleeping. Contact lenses are not good as handling everyday is more hassle. So if one need freedom from using either contact lenses or eye glasses, then the best option comes in is LASIK eye surgery. This surgery is so simple and I had watched the live operation when I gone with one of my relatives, who had undergone LASIK in the year 2008.

The surgery was like out-patient treatment. First of all, patient should undergo eligibility test for their eyes. If eyes are eligible, then only the doctors will recommend to do LASIK. The eye should be normal and power of eye should not be changed over 01 year time. Upto -12 power (negative power) for short-sight can be done using LASIK. My relative had -4 eye power on both eyes. Just the cornea of eyes were reshaped using the beam of Laser. It just taken 1 minute for each eye. Then doctors advised to close the eyes for about 3 hours in hospital itself as the setting of reshape should become normal. An eye solution (I don't remember the name of that solution) had been given. Till now my relative enjoys by seeing the world without eye glasses or contact lenses. So I think there will be no side effects of doing LASIK surgery.

It is just corneal reshaping. This surgery can be done for foresight people also. But most of them I can see the people are suffering from short-sight. Human eye has three major parts such as cornea, lenses and retina. defects in cornea can be treated using LASIK while defects in lenses can be treated by replacing them with artificial lenses. But defects in retina can't be cured and leads to blind as the retina is like the display in laptop / computer.

The cost of LASIK was Rs. 30000/- (Thirty Thousand) for both eyes in the year 2008. Do you have any more doubt? Then let me know here how can I further help you with.

Jeba.

• #138593
    LASIK stands for Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis. Of late, this surgical procedure has become extremely popular in India for correcting vision of persons suffering from various defects like nearsighted, farsighted or astigmatism. The patients who undergo LASIK surgery are generally discharged from the hospital on the same day.

• #140608
    My brother has been through LASIK eye surgery. He was having specs and a far vision problem. a year ago he gone through LASIK eyes surgery now he is free of specs and able to see everything very clear in far vision. The operation took only a minute to complete but he stayed for 2 days in the hospital premises under observation. He was not allowed to put a single drop of water into his eyes for a month and he was not allowed to wash the face with water or any other method for 15 days and he was not allowed to rub his eyes and not to drive at night for a month. He undergoes regular check up within a gap of 2 months to the hospital and now he is well improved and able to live life normally without specs. The total fee he deposited was around RS. 25000 - Rs. 30000 for the whole treatment. He got his eyes vision clear with a certain period of time and he was wearing black specs for around 2 months to get protected from sunlight specially.