Am I eligible for civil service exams

Wondering if a candidate who has completed BTech in five years is eligible for UPSC exams? On this Ask Expert page you will get answers to your queries.

I have completed my BTech in 2016, but taken 5 years to complete it. I belong to reserved category (ST).
    Am I eligible for UPSC civil service exam?
    Can you suggest me with things that I can apply or should prepare for my career?
    Awaiting advice.
  • #138596
    The academic eligibility criteria for appearing in the civil services examination is a recognised bachelor's degree from a recognised institution.

As far as the age criteria are concerned the candidate should have completed 21 years of age and should not have attained the age of 32 years on the 1st of August, 2016 i.e. the candidate should have born between the period 02.08.1984 and 01.08.1995, for appearing in the 2016 examination.

However, there is a relaxation 5 years in the age limit in case of candidate belonging to SC and ST categories. Also in such cases as many attempts as possible up to the age of reaching the maximum age are allowed.

In addition to the civil services examinations, there are other examinations e.g. banks PO or clerk grade examination in which a bachelor's degree is the minimum eligibility criteria.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• #138600
    Bachelor degree from any recognised university is the eligibility criteria for UPSC civil services examination. The duration of Bachelor degree is not considered. However the candidate must fulfil the age criteria according to their category. Therefore, if your age is below 37 years on 01 Aug 2016, then you can very well apply for the above mentioned exam.

• #138603
    You are eligible for the upsc civil service exam. You should not take the decision in haste. You examine your parents financial condition, can they feed you for 4-5 yerar. You should not have other liability, then only you can survive in this competition. First evaluate your self in the light of talent and labour required for this exam. Read my article how to prepare for civil services interview, you will get many details. the article is displayed on ISC home page under recent articles.the url is-http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/170292-How-to-prepare-for-civil-services-Interview.aspx
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

• #138628
    If your B.Tech degree is from a UGC-recognised University and your College is recognised by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), you can apply for Indian Civil Services Examination, provided you satisfy other conditions (mainly relating to age).

With your B.Tech degree, you can also appear in Engineering Services Examination (ECE) and can also join PSUs, if you want to work in Central Government or Central PSUs.

• #138642
    Yea you are eligible as for registering for upscale exams one need to be graduate . For other course you can give bank po exams . Ssc junior engineer exams. Bank clerk exams. For upscale it's not mentioned that you need to be graduated in 4 years. So you can prepare for the same .

• #139010
    Yes. You are eligible for UPSC Civil Services Examination.
    Eligible criteria for Civil Services Examination is Graduation only.
    in addition to this UPSC doesn't bother about how many years you have taken to complete it. There is no restriction of graduation degree obtained by part time mode or correspondence mode or private mode. Every body is eligible.

"Learning is a continuous process"