Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Query about Oceanographic/marine engineering

Date: 11 Sep 2016   Posted By: AKASH S KUMAR     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have just completed by BTech in Electronics and Communication this year. Now I have grown an interest in oceanographic and marine engineering.
What do I have to do in order to take up the course? What is its scope in India?
Also what is the scope of the course for an electronics engineer in this field?
Awaiting guidance.

Planning to make a career in marine or oceanography? Check out career related advice from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    13 Sep 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The author may visit the website of the Indian Maritime University ( which is a central university to get a feel of the various courses available, syllabus and eligibility criteria etc. The university offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and research level programs at following seven premier institutions as per details given in the Academic Brochure made available on its website -

1. National Maritime Academy, Chennai
2. T S Chanakya, Mumbai
3. Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Mumbai
4. Marine Engineering Research Institute, Mumbai
5. Marine Engineering Research Institute, Kolkata
6. Indian Institute of Port Management, Kolkata
7. National Ship Design & Research Centre, Visakhapatnam

For undergraduate courses, the maximum age limit is 25 years for admission with a relaxation of maximum 5 years for SC and ST candidates. Admissions are made through an All India Online Common Entrance Tests (CETs).

However, in my opinion, it may not be advisable to go for an undergraduate course in marine engineering after completing a B.Tech. program in Electronics and Communication. There is no short cut to success and in case the author is finding it challenging to get a job after completing his B.Tech., then there is no guarantee that a job will be easily available after completing another degree. Moreover, admission in the university mentioned above is quite challenging also subject to fulfillment of the other eligibility criteria.

Is this a good answer ?    

Author: Reena Upadhya    14 Sep 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

For marine engineering:-
- You need to appear for GATE exam and you can appear for any paper other than 'XL'.
- M. Tech. in Ocean Technology and M. Tech. in Ocean Engineering are the two courses from which you can choose.

Scope for marine engineering:-
1) Steel industry,
2) Ship manufacturing industry,
3) Navy,
4) Research bodies,
5) As an assistant engineer in ship,
6) Power sector,
7) Consultancy firm etc.....

- You should know swimming and diving. Should not suffer from sea sickness because all these count for personal attributes when coming to selection.
- In oceanography you can opt any one of these courses-
a) Geographical oceanography,
b) Chemical oceanography,
c) Physical oceanography,
d) Marine and ocean engineers

Scope for oceanography:-
1) Scientist or technician in both public and government sectors,
2) Oil India,
3) Geographical survey of India,
4) Oceanography department,
5) Can opt for teaching etc.....

Is this a good answer ?    

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.