Ask Experts » Sports » Other Sports »

I need a job in mountaineering field

Date: 14 Sep 2016    Group: Sports    Category: Other Sports   

I have done my advance mountaineering course in ABVIMAS, Manali. So can you please give me some advice for this. Can you please tell me what should I do next? And how can I join a adventure agency or find a government job? I need your advice is make my future.

Searching for making a career in mountaineering? On this Ask Expert page you will get career advice.

Author: Kailash Kumar    15 Sep 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

In my opinion, the author should begin with contacting the institution from where he has completed his course. It is expected that during the course of studies, the institute might have provided some information about future career prospects also after completing the course though many individuals complete such courses as a hobby also for their personal satisfaction.

Career opportunities are likely to exist as an adventure sports instructors, adventure sports photographer, adventure tourism facilitator, adventure camp counselor etc. in excursion agencies, holiday resorts, leisure camps and commercial recreation centers, sports centers and athletic clubs etc.

There are few other institutions also which offer courses/training in the field of mountaineering, therefore the author may contact such institutes also for exploring job prospects. some of such institutes are as follows -

1. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
Jawahar Parvat
Darjeeling-734 101
2. Nehru Institute Of Mountaineering
Uttarkashi - 249193
3. Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering
IISM, House No 183, Kursoo, Raj Bagh,
Srinagar - 190008
4. Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering and Winter Sports (JIM & WS)
C/O JIM & WS, Nunwan, Pahalgam
Distt: Anantnag -192126
5. Regional Mountaineering Centre, McLeodganj
Trail to Triund Hill from Main Square, McLeod Ganj - 176219
6. High Altitude Trekking & Skiing Center,
Narkanda , Distt. Shimla - 171213

Is this a good answer ?    

Author: Ajay Vikram Singh    16 Sep 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I have a different advice. Establish a mountaineering club of your own. The idea might sound a bit odd, but remember you learnt it from somewhere and if you establish a club, people will learn it from you. Initially the income might be low but if you are determined enough, you might start earning more by time. You can later make a blog and a YouTube channel for tutorials and you will earn from add as well.

Is this a good answer ?    

Author: Reena Upadhya    17 Sep 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I guess that you have completed BMC which is basic orientation course of mountaineering.
If you want to study further, you can choose more serious courses like:-
- AMC,
- SAR,
- MOI

Scope:-
Since mountaineering has become popular sport, it has opened lots of scope and possibilities for employment. Since you have already completed mountaineering and are looking for employment, you can choose one from the below.
1) Mountaineering guides in various places like-
- Gym- Many gyms have climb walls or rock walls and thus there is demand for trainer who care for safety of learners and guide them through those walls.

- Cruise ships- There are rock walls in them and thus you can apply as guide in these ships.

- Adventure camps- Campers often demand an instructor who can lead them and make their camping experience fruitful. Working as a guide amid nature can be really adventurous.

- Summer camps- These sorts of recreational camps require skilled rock climbers and thus you have great scope here.

2) In climbing schools- As an instructor.

3) In mountaineering colleges- As a teacher.

4) Paramilitary.

5) Army.

6) Construction industry.

7) Sports industry etc.....

Is this a good answer ?