|Author: Reena Upadhya 15 Sep 2016 Member Level: Silver Points : 7 (Rs 7) Voting Score: 0|
It is a viral infection caused by mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes of 2 species are known to cause Chikungunya. They are-
1) Aedes aegypti and
2) Aedes albopictus
It is spread from an individual to another individual by mosquito bites. Mosquito transmit the viruses of Chikungunya in humans when they bite them. Viruses multiply in human body causing fever to rise high. Such an individual who is suffering from Chikungunya is when bit with other mosquitoes who are not carrying Chikungunya virus too becomes carrier thereby completing viral replication cycle. Virus of Chikungunya not only enters human body but also is detected in various animals like cattle, monkeys and even birds.
Do not let mosquito to bite you and this can be done by-
- Keeping your house and surrounding environment clean and do not let water to stand which will prevent mosquito breeding.
- Mosquito repellents like coils, creams, mats, sprays, liquids etc..... should be used properly.
- Cover your body as much as possible to prevent mosquito bite. Wear long sleeves t-shirts, long pants and hats which carefully cover your body.
- Windows and doors should be secured with screens so that mosquitoes do not enter inside home.
- Avoid traveling or visiting those areas where Chikungunya is prevalent. If traveling cannot be avoided then take all the precautions which are necessary.
- Sleeping in mosquito nets is particularly useful precaution that will prevent mosquito bite.
- Chikungunya is not only found in India but is also prevalent in many parts of the world.
- In 1955, its first outbreak was reported in Tanzania, Africa.
- It is seen all over the world and recent outbreaks have been reported from Asia, Europe, Africa along with islands of Indian and Pacific oceans.
- In 2014, this infection reached many parts of America too like North America, South America, Central America, Caribbean Islands.
1) High fever,
2) Joint pain,
3) Muscle pain,
5) Rash development,
6) Digestion related troubles,
9) Exhaustion of extreme degree,
10) Stiffness in joints,
12) Nausea or vomiting,
13) Diarrhea etc.....
Symptoms subside within 3 days to a week. However, most of the sufferers complain of joint pain for months after attack of Chikungunya infection.
- Mortality rate of Chikungunya is less than 1 in 1,000.
- Usually symptoms subside within a week leaving certain signs like joint pains which may last for months.
- However, in neonates, elderly individuals and those suffering from underlying chronic diseases may show some complications.
- During delivery, neonates may suffer from Chikungunya resulting from mother and have high chances of morbidity.
- Overall this infection is rarely fatal or life threatening apart from certain severe cases where immunity is compromised.
1) High fever, joint pain and other such symptoms will lead to clinical suspicion of this infection.
2) Blood antibody tests- It differentiates Chikungunya from dengue fever.
3) Decrease in lymphocyte count.
5) Viral isolation.
6) Serological diagnosis.
8) C reactive protein finding.
9) Increased cytokines.
1) No specific treatment is available for Chikungunya.
2) Supportive care is recommended.
3) Complete bed rest.
4) Medicines like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, non-aspirin analgesics and paracetamol are given to bring the body temperature down and to reduce swelling.
5) Fluid intake or fluid transfusion is done to keep body hydrated.
6) Immunoglobulins are given to those who are at high risk of infection.
7) Drugs like ribavirin, NSAID's, analgesics, methotrexate can provide relief in joint pain.
Homeopathy claims its effectiveness in treating Chikungunya by prescribing following medicines-
5) Belladona etc.....
Is this a good answer ?
|Author: Ramachandran Pattabiraman 16 Sep 2016 Member Level: Diamond Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
To the possible extent we have to keep our surroundings clean and without stagnant water in any form. Whenever we come inside to the house from outside we have to clean our legs and hands (The same was told by our elders in the name of Aachaaram but we set aside already).
Above all the best medicine for preventing as well curing such fevers is consuming ' Nilavembu Kudineer', a siddha medicine, is found very effective. It is available in powder form in all ayurveda, siddha medical stores of all places. The powder can be made dicoction as adding into boiling water. This dicoction can be consumed twice or thrice daily 25 mil each.
Reference can be made through;
Is this a good answer ?
|Author: Sheo Shankar Jha 19 Sep 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 10 (Rs 10) Voting Score: 0|
Chickungunia is mosquito - born viral disease. Most commonly the mosquitos involved are Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. It is a RNA virus that belongs to Alphavirus genus of the family of Togaviradae.
It is characterised by an abrupt fever rising up to 104 F accompanied by joint pain followed by other symptoms such as muscles pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and appearance of rash on the bodies.
It is prevalent in Asian and African countries.
There are certain means with which this disease can be treated-
1) in Ayurveda, you may consume Panchtikta Kasyam as per advice of Ayurvedic - doctor.
2) Sacred Basil leaves by taking five or six leaves at a time should be boiled in 150 ml of water and on reduction of its volume by half, this should be consumed twice daily. This would take care of fever and also would help in enhancing immunity.
3) Coconut - water should be taken regularly to flush out the the toxins.
4) Grapes and Carrots are very useful in tackling the disease.
5) There is a drop in the platelet count in the chickungunia Fever also and so Papaya - extract if taken as per advice of the doctor would help in the surge of platelets.
Since there is no satisfactory remedy of this disease in the Allopathy - system, one should avoid taking Paracetamol or Aspirin with one's accord.
The following measures should be taken to avoid mosquito - bites-
1) As far as possible, one should wear full sleeved shirts and Paints.
2) Avoid water - storage without having proper enclosures.
3) Worn out tyres and damaged ones should not be kept in the residence.
4) In order to protect from the mosquito- bites, one should use mosquito - net.
5) Mosquto - repellent in the form of cream or lotion may be used on the parts not covered with the clothes.
6) Overhaul cleanliness is important since they like dirty places for their shelter.
In Homoeopathy, there are certain medicines which can be used as per advice of Homeopaths. These are as follow-
5) Eupetorium - perf etc.
Is this a good answer ?