Ask Experts » Education » School Homework Help »

How can I become an online tutor?

Date: 22 Sep 2016   Posted By: Partha Kansabanik     Group: Education    Category: School Homework Help   

Some of my friends and relatives are insisting for quite some time to become an online tutor. This is because of my so-called ability to teach various common and uncommon subjects and also because of my insomnia. My friends have even forwarded the names and IP addresses of some reliable websites (like Tutorvista, etc.) for this purpose.

Although I am interested to become an online teacher, I am hesitating because of my almost zero knowledge in computer and related systems.
So, I am eager to know:-
(i) What are the instruments/system required for online tutoring?
(ii) Is there any institute which gives training to aspiring online tutors?
(iii) What is the standard rate of teaching online at Secondary level, Senior Secondary level and Graduation level students?
Experts: do advice.

Wondering how to become an online tutor? Searching for suggestions and guidance? On this page you will get response to your queries from experts.

Author: Mahesh    23 Sep 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

Here are some of the answers to your queries.

1. You need a better MIC. In that case you should check out the Blue Yeti. It's expensive but voice gets very clear through that. Regular 200 rs MIC will work too but you'd find static and other noises with it. Most of the high paying tutoring site expect you to have blue Yeti. But typical Indian sites don't have such requirement as of yet.

2. There does not seem to be any tutoring or course for you in order to get trained. Some of the time the site has editors who ask you for demo session with them. And they asses you and give you guidance on that front. Depending on the site or the place that hires you decides on the quality and the improvement front.

3. Rates are dependent on the institution. You can find that some are not established yet and some require you to teach with pretty decent industry rates like 400 Rs per class etc. So for each level and the subject it may vary and some of the time class strength it will vary as well.

I have taught few programming classes for offshore students and it took me a while to get comfortable. Rates were fluctuating too. So it all comes down to how you adjust with the timing, subject, students and your setup and presentation. It's a lot different experience but you learn with each new session.

Is this a good answer ?