Precautions women need to take after family planning operation are:-
1) Take complete rest for couple of days as it is natural to feel weak and a little uncomfortable due to general anesthesia given during operation.
2) Slight pain and bleeding will be observed but if it gets worsen then immediately consult your doctor. Taking painkillers prescribed can relieve pain to some extent.
3) Avoid lifting heavy objects for at least a week after operation.
4) Dressing over wound can be taken off very next day.
5) Some sutures are dis solvable and thus do not require removal. However, if sutures are not dis-solvable then you need to go back to the hospital to get them removed.
6) One can get involved physically but proper contraception for certain duration is required. In case of tubal occlusion, contraception until first period is recommended and in case of hysteroscopic sterilization, contraception should be followed for 3 months.
Benefits of operation:-
1) These kinds of operations prevent pregnancy in 99% cases.
2) Sex drive is not affected at all.
3) Hormone levels too do not get affected.
4) It will protect against ovarian cancer.
5) It will provide protection against pelvic inflammatory disease.
Side effects of operation:-
1) There is a risk of infection.
2) There is a risk for abscess formation of wounds.
3) Slight risk of internal bleeding.
4) There is a possibility of operation to fail due to rejoining of fallopian tubes which is very rare.