• Category: Professional Courses

Preparation tips for competitive exams

Planning to give competitie exams? Wondering how to prepare? Check out tips and methods from experts on this page.

I am pursuing B.Tech 3rd year. I don't have interest to go through my academics. I feel that I should better focus on competitive exams.
    I am planning to prepare for the SBI POs. So could you guide me regarding the same?
    The reason why I am showing aspiration about the competitive exams is the scarcity of automation , instability and have to continuously update the knowledge. Hence my focus on giving Competitive exams.
  • #139254
    A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
    The first priority is to complete the present course with some excellent grade/score. That will also help you get jobs. But in the anxiety to pass in competitive exams if you neglect your present studies, then that can land you in problem.So give first preference to your present academic studies and related projects and assignments.

In the extra time, go through the online sites which give you details about such competitive exams. You may buy some basic books published by some established coaching classes in this regard. There are many competitive and career oriented magazines in English and local languages. You may subscribe to one or more of them as per your need and capacity. (There are articles and ask experts question-answer in this site itself which can give you some lead and guidance)

Try working the exercises and the previous question papers and guess questions given in them. You may join some coaching classes during the long vacation after your annual exams and after the final semester exams.

But in the meantime please give first priority to your present B Tech studies and projects and assignments. Ensure that there are no arrears. Work hard and focussed to pass and get good score/grade in the B Tech course. Many competitive exams ask for more than 60, percent or 75 percent. Hence, getting that much level will be an additional helping factor, in campus recruitment selections and even off campus selections.

You have got sufficient time now. Plan well and work well. Best Wishes.

• #139260
    Your main area of concentration should be to focus on your present studies so that you may achieve impressive marks in the final examination. This aspect is important since in almost all the competitive examination including SBI PO cut off marks of the graduation are set. For SBI PO, 65 percent is the minimum cut - off point so that you can appear for the PO examination.
    In order to be familiar with the pattern of this test, you may look out for the previous question papers of different years of SBI PO and the same may be available in your local book - store. By going through the questions of different years, you can establish an idea how the questions would be set in the next time. The written test comprises three portions - General - knowledge,Mathematical - ability test and Reasoning - test. In mathematics, you have to be swift so that the entire questions can be handled correctly with better utilisation of time. You may have a volume of Sri R.S. Aggrawal named tips in Mathematics.
    You should go through leading English newspaper in order to be acquainted with the latest events. Fluency in English both in oral and written is desirable. You need to practice consistently in that direction.
    However, the solution to this aspect lies in joining a reputed coaching Institute after completion of the Engineering degree. You would get innumerable inputs from there.

• #139288
    Good, you have a target in your carrier, with a specific bank.
    Be stable in the target. Chances of more opportunities in SBI are more. Enhance your general reading. Have an idea of the exam pattern. Start preparing accordingly. There are good training centres in Guntur, as per my google search. Along with studying for the SBI POs, you may try for civil service exams also.
    As the saying goes on, aim the stars, you will reach the hill.

• #139289
    Thank you for your more futile infirnation .

• #139328
    The pattern of SBI P.O. examination is indicated below:-

Phase-I: Preliminary examination is objective test with multiple choices (MCQ). This is of 100 marks and conducted online. The duration is one hour. There are three sections, English language-30 questions, Quantitative aptitude-35 questions, Reasoning ability-35 questions. It is of qualifying nature.

Phase-II: Written examination of 250 marks. It consists of objective test and descriptive test.

Objective test is of 200 marks of two hours duration. It consists of four sections of 50 marks each. These sections are: English, General Awareness, Data Analysis and Interpretation and High-level Reasoning. Descriptive Test is of one hour duration consisting of letter-writing and essay-writing.

From my personal experience I can say that six months serious practice will surely help any average-intelligent candidate to qualify the examination. A candidate must practise the complete paper within time-limit, every day. He/She has to identify the weak areas and strong areas, and practise accordingly. Various periodicals are available to study General Awareness portion.

Best of Luck!!

• #139761
    Well, You have a target in a specific field. You can do your job in SBI in 2 ways-
    1. PROBATIONARY OFFICER(PO)
    2. SPECIALIST OFFICER IN TECHNICAL CADRE
    You must appear the Institute of Banking personnel selection(IBPS) Exam for banking selection and must have a good rank. Go through the website for details-
    www.ibpsexam.org