Which is better option between BS Software Engineering and BS Information Technology

Confused about choosing between BS Software Engineering and BS Information Technology? Let our experts give you guidance on selecting the right option.

I am planning to get admission in the field of software engineering and information technology. I am an associate engineer electronics, Now I am planning to get admission in B.S software or information technology, but am not sure of the option to take up. Also, could you suggest some online platform where I can prepare for my studies if I get admission in one of the options I select.
  • #139664
    BS Software engineering deals with the fundamental computer science and software. And this degree has the same syllabus to that of the computer science. In case of BS Information technology, the syllabus here is same as the Btech IT. So you're basically choosing either IT or CS like any other engineering graduate.

First three years you'd find both the degree programs having the same syllabus regarding the fundamentals in computer science. However information technology also has the syllabus of information system management and human resource. So these are some of the additional subjects which may not be present in the BS software engineering.

You have to find your inclination in which stream you're likely to get into. If you like core programming and software industry, you should stick with BS Software Engineering. And if you prefer information technology career then BS Information technology is much better option.

• #139702
    BS Software - engineering is basically a branch dealing with the Computer - science and the subjects taught in this branch are the computer fundamentals, Java - technology, Cloud - computing, Microprocessor, Net - technologies and Embedded - system etc.
    The main objective behind the inclusion of these courses is to armour a student with the fundamentals of the computers so that one can handle the different modules in an effective way.
    In the first two years the subjects such as Engineering - mathematics, Physics, Strength of materials, Linear - algebra and Engineeing - drawing are common for all the students irrespective of the streams but from the third year and onwards, the syllabus of both Software - engineering and Information - technology will differ. In the information - system- Cryptography, Web - technology, Economics and Digital - technology are taught. So an aspirants must have sound knowledge in the Information - system.
    The best option to choose either of the two would depend upon your area of interest in a particular field.