• Category: Exam Questions

UPSC preparation for a Biotechnology graduate.

What shall be the procedure to prepare for UPSC for a student of Biotechnology and belonging to general category? How to select the subjects for appearing in UPSC examination for a Biotechnology student?

I am a Biotechnology graduate(B.tech) and healthcare professional of 26 years age. I belong to general category. I want to know how to prepare for UPSC exam. I am also confused about the subjects selection as I heard about optional subjects. Please guide me about subjects selection and preparation. I can not quit my job due to lack of finances.
  • #139693
    Stages of examination(IAS exam conducted by UPSC)
    There are three stages of the examination.
    The Preliminary stage
    The main examination
    The Interview
    The Preliminary stage—there are two papers objective type in this stage one general studies second civil services aptitude test (CSAT).General studies involves vast syllabus like history, geography, polity, general science, economics, mathematics, Indian constitution, current affairs etc. Paper second syllabus covers English grammar, comprehensions, reasoning, computer knowledge, Hindi vyakaran etc.
    Main Examination
    The qualified candidates in preliminary examination will be allowed to write the mains examination. The main examination consists the following papers.
    General English- 300 marks -qualifying
    Essay 250
    Optional paper-I 250
    Optional paper-II 250

General studies –I 250
    General studies –II 250
    General studies –III 250
    General studies –IV 250
    Total 1750
    Interview 275
    Total 2025
    from the above information it is clear that general study and optionals play a big role in selection.You forget that you are a graduate of biotechnology, treat yourself a simple graduate. there are more than 80 optional subjects you can choose any two according to your interest. It take 3 months to prepare a new subject. I would suggest the combination of two subjects like Public administration and sociology or Public administration and geography, or public administration and history because these subject each covers 25-30 GS syllabus and scoring.
    For GS preparation you should read The Hindu news paper, civil services cronicle monthaly magazine, some special issues on a perticular subject, Manorama year book, India 2016 book,and some good text books on the subject such as environmental geography by savinder sing, Indian economy by sundram, Indian geography by bhullar& bhullar etc. You should make notes while reading these materials.

The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.