• Category: Other Jobs

Can i study geology after taking commerce stream with geography ??

What are the requirements to study geology in a reputed institution in Chennai or Tamil Nadu? Find out about the eligibility criteria and pass percentages to study Geology Chennai or Tamil Nadu.

I'm studying in class 12 in commerce stream with Geography.I'm getting good marks in all my Geography that is above 90% but my over all total may be less. Is it possible to study geology in a reputed institution in Chennai,Tamil Nadu???Are there any entrance examinations for it??
  • #139886
    I am sorry. You can't study Geology in Graduation level because in Geology, B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees are offered. A student of Commerce stream can't take admission in Science stream in Graduation and/or Post-Graduation level. If you are genuinely interested to study Geology, you have to change your stream and take admission in Science stream with Geography at X+II level.

• #139890
    M.sc. degrees are only possible for the science graduate. So you won't be able to pursue the geography and geology degree after the commerce graduation. However if you have commerce stream then only way you may be able to do this degree is through online or distance learning mode. Regular courses require you to have science background. Distance learning courses as they lack field exposure are open to all. So you can't do the geography and geology degrees with the commerce stream in parallel.

• #139898
    Since you are persuing Commerce stream followed by Geography and hence you cannot take up Geology as one of subjects later on in the B.Sc stage. Geology is purely a science subjects and as such this subject can be taken along with Physics and Mathematics in B.Sc cirriculam. In order to get admission in the Post - graduate - level in Geology, you need to have minimum high second class degree in B.Sc ( Honours) in Geology or a first class B.Sc ( Pass) degree with minimum 60 percent in Geology.
    So, your thinking seems to be imaginary in respect of your admission in Geology in Tamilnadu.
    There are some distinguished Institutes conducting admission - tests for admission in M.Sc in Geology.