• Category: Engineering Jobs

Should I prepare for the first GATE examination after I complete my BTech or from the second one?

Aspiring to joina PSU after engineering? Wondering when to start preparing for GATE exam? Find responses to this question here.

I am presently in 2nd year of my BTech. I want to appear for GATE examinations in order to apply for PSU jobs and not for doing MTech.
    Should I start preparing for the 2020 GATE examinations (that is the first one after I complete my BTech ) or should I start preparing for the 2021 Gate exams and onwards?
  • #140158
    When you reach final year of your engineering you become eligible to appear the next GATE exam. i advise you to take it whenever you get the first opportunity. Here's why?
    The syllabus of GATE contains almost all the engineering subjects. For example if you are in Electronics and Communication Engineering stream you will need to go through your second and third semester papers like Network Theory, Electrical Engineering Materials, Linear Electronic Circuits , Basics of Communication etc. for GATE exam. When you are still in engineering you are closer to your subjects of lower semesters. So, use your semester breaks and any other spare time to prepare for GATE intensely so that you get the opportunity to appear while in the final year of your engineering. This way, in your particular case I'm perhaps advising you to appear GATE in 2019.
    If you score good in GATE you can join leading PSUs such as BHEL, IOC, NTPC, BARC etc. But here is an advice which you have not perhaps sought but I'll still throw it your way. I advise good students to go for an M.Tech through GATE. Nowadays B.Tech or B.E. degree is very common and you do not feel special any more after doing B.Tech like in old days when graduation in engineering was assumed as a degree of repute. However on completing M.Tech or MS in engineering from an esteemed national or foreign institute you will be regarded as an expert on the subject and may command a job with a handsome salary package.

• #140168
    GATE examination would play a pivotal role in strengthening your career on both ways - a special package to be offered by the Public - undertaking units on the eve of qualifying the examination with a high percentile and for such achievement, you are to be rewarded special increment in your pay - scale in organisations like ONGC, DVC, SAIL, BHEL, NTPC etc and secondly you get an oppurtunity for undertaking M.Tech course in your chosen stream with some coveted Institutes such as IIT or any Regional - college of Engineering.
    The early you start the preparation of the course, the better. As soon you pass out the Engineering - graduate course, your preparation for the GATE examination would take less time because of the fresh revision of the course in the recent semesters and the subject material is very much vivid to you. However, I would advise you to enrol yourself in a distinguished Institute like T.I.M.E, Vani Institute, GATE FORUM, Brilliant Tutorials etc. in order to get the facility of doubt removal session and their valuable tips to excel in the GATE examination.
    Keeping in view of job - prospects of M.Tech in the Public - sectors and Research - organisations, like BARC you should strive for high percentile in the GATE examination so that you may secure a seat for M.Tech in some renowned Institution.

• #140169
    When you completed BTech final year you become eligible for GATE exam. GATE paper depends on BTech branch. Suppose You completed BTech(Electrical Engineering) your GATE paper is based on Electrical Engineering syllabus. GATE syllabus found on website for GATE exam. Prepare for this exam is not so easy but quite possible when you do hard work. When You qualify the exam you will get a score card. Your study or job depends on score card. A good score is essential for good career.
    You can use you score card in 2 ways-
    1. MTech study in IITs and NITs.
    2. Public sector jobs like NTPC, PGCIL. GAIL, BHEL etc.

• #140185
    The first priority is to be thorough in the subjects in your B. Tech syllabus. While studying for the academic semester exams , you may also attempt the old question papers of GATE examination choosing those questions that pertain to the syllabus studied already. That will give you much help in the academic exams and also prepare you for your GATE exam.

Then once you reach the final year you may join a coaching centre to become more oriented towards the GATE exam and will be able to face it well at the first attempt itself. Take and consider GATE preparation as an extension to your B. Tech studies, with good knowledge of the subjects and working on extra problems.

• #141307
    You should write the first exam in your fourth year B.Tech !
    Hey there! I am a GATE aspirant and currently in second year B.E as well. I approached lots of seniors who had cleared the GATE exam from my college and online aswell. And here is what I was told, First off you should know the complete syllabus of GATE exam, by complete I mean complete! with weightage and important topics. And never keep General Aptitude section, and Engineering mathematics for later study because both of them needs some momentum to score. let me explain. General Aptitude includes Grammar, Vocabulary, Sentence corrections, Critical reasoning , numericals on speed-dist-time, cost-profit, direction problems etc which requires your brain to be trained for sometimes, so if you start learning 5 new words everyday, and 30 mins for numericals then imagine how good your vocabulary would be! and you will get enough time to concentrate on your technical subjects. Same way you need to remember lots of formulas in mathematics and if you start solving some problems and noting down formulas and remembering them, then out of 100 marks in GATE, 30 marks can be scored easily. Again, scoring in General Aptitude and Engg. mathematics is easy and you should start preparing from now itself.
    Coming to technical part, make sure you know every concept and try to get your doubts solved then and there itself and join some reputed GATE coaching institutes( sometimes they give a test and if you clear it then you'll get discount in your fees).

Suggested book for increasing vocabulary- Word Power Made Easy, GRE high frequency words.
    Suggested book for numericals -R.S Agarwal.
    Suggested book for Engineering Mathematics- B.S Grewal
    Link to GATE 2017 Syllabus- gate.iitr.ernet.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Syllabi_GATE2017.pdf