• Category:

Why nosebleeding is so common in winter season ?

Have a query about nose bleeding in winters? Check out this page for answers to your query.

I have this problem in winter season. Can you tell me the seriousness of the problem? I have observed this problem in morning. Is there any link of this problem to my diet? Generally after eating eggs, my nose starts bleeding. This might be not true but I am sharing this so that I can find the best solution.
  • #140230
    Hi Suneel,
    Do not worry, nose bleeding is common in winter and summer season, the soft skin in your nose dry out and crack when the air is too dry or warm. I am also experiencing the same problem for my children.
    My pediatrician advised me to keep 5 liters of water in your bedroom and switch on the fan (when you sleep) to increase the moisture content of the room, this can avoid early morning noose bleeding.
    One of the best home remedy for this problem is to maintain the moisture of your nasal membranes by applying clean coconut oil once in the morning and at bed time using your index finger.
    Drink plenty of water, tender coconut, watery fruits to keep your whole body moisture.

MG

• #140252
    In most of the cases nose bleed is not a serious problem. Nose bleed occurs in young children and in older people. Generally nose bleed occurs in winter season. In some cases if blood clotting is delayed then it happens in the form of nose bleeding. Inability of the blood clotting may be due to the medicine taken for thinning the blood. Rare reason of blood clotting are nose cancer and high blood pressure.
    SYMPTOMS OF GENERAL NOSE BLEEDING
    If nose bleeding is of common nature then it will bleed from one nostril only.Sometimes blood can flow back into throat and into stomach and once you spit or vomit blood is seen. Don't get panic by seeing the blood in your spit or vomit after nose bleeding.
    WHY NOSE BLEED IN WINTER SEASON
    There are tiny blood vessels inside the nose. In winter season mucus flow increases in winter season. To clear the mucus you blow your nose. When you blow your nose on and off and very vigorously, blood vessel inside the nose get cracked and bleeding start. It is advised to blow your nose gently.
    If you are very prone to nose bleeding, use humidifier in your home to introduce humidity in the air. Apply skin friendly jelly inside the nasal to capture humidity. Avoid hot beverages.Limit the use of nasal drop.Do not use the nasal drop in children below the age of 12 years.

• #140253
    Nose bleeds are common due to the location of the nose on the face and there is a large amount of blood vessels in the nose, because of this it may bleed. Some of the causes of nose bleed are drying of nasal and too much nose picking. Don't take aspirin and other products when you get nose bleeding. Consult a doctor for nose bleed if bleeding cant be stopped.

• #140296
    Our body is vulnerable to extreme weather conditions and for some people severe winter and severe summer would tell upon their health immediately. Our nose is the most sensitive part of the body and it should be exposed to extreme cold or extreme hot conditions. When you see a village person, he would tie a shamla or big cloth around his head covering the ears and nose. The reason is very clear. Due to change in climate our body tend to react immediately and to keep the temperature normal it is advised to keep the nose and ears protected during the winter and summer to prevent frequent blood oozing out of it.

• #140369
    Dear Suneel Singhji,
    Nosebleeds are common during the winter and should not be a cause fort concern.
    Cold winter air can be drying and irritating to the nose and so can forms of indoor heat, like forced air and fireplaces. Blood flow from the nose can range from a few drops to a real gusher.
    Older individuals are more susceptible to nosebleeds in winter because their mucous membranes are not as lush and the dry air causes the thinning blood vessels in the nose to break.
    Older women and people taking blood-thinning drugs face an even greater risk. Women who are postmenopausal are especially vulnerable to nosebleeds because of decrease in estrogen that increases bodily fluids. Anyone who is taking blood thinners like aspirin or Coumadin also is prone to nosebleeds.
    Advice:
    If you get a nosebleed, don't panic. Tilt your head back and apply firm pressure to nostrils for about five minutes.
    Apply ice. The cold causes blood vessels to constrict, which limits and slows down the blood flow. Put petroleum jelly on cotton pads and insert them into your nostrils. Go to the doctor if bleeding is profuse and does not stop. Bleeding vessel will likely be cauterized, meaning that heat would have been applied to the wound to staunch the flow.
    There are few things you can do to prevent winter nosebleeds, too.
    Get a humidifier and run it, especially in bedrooms, with door closed, a few hours before going to bed. You will be spending eight hours or so sleeping and your nose needs a soothing rest just like you do.
    A dab of petroleum jelly on either side of septum, two times per day, will aid moisture. Saline sprays and specialized gels also are readily available in medical stores.