• Category: Miscellaneous

Guidance for cultivation of Australian teak wood

Have a query about cultivating Australian teak wood? find advice from experts on this page.

I am from South of West Bengal.I want to start business of tree plantation specially Australian teak wood. But I have no previous experience. Can you help me with proper guidance relating to the project?
  • #145387
    Australian teak is a perennial tree native to Australia and Asia. A. Australian teak is a species of the humid, tropical lowland zones. It tolerates pH levels between 4.5 and 6.5. It occurs behind mangroves in seasonal swamps along streams and on well-drained flats, low ridges and mountain foothills.Australian teak is a commonly planted forestry tree. This tree is widely cultivated for firewood and for furniture making.

Varieties of Teak trees in India are :-
    1) Nilambur (Malabar) teak
    2) South and Central American teak
    3) West African teak
    4) Adilabad teak
    5)Godhavari teak
    6)Konni teak.

Climate requirement for Australian Teak :- Australian Teak prefers moist, warm tropical climate. It can withstand extremes of temperature, but maximum & minimum shade temperatures of 39- 44 0 c and 13 – 17 0 c respectively are the most favorable for its growth. It grows well in rainfall zone of 1200-2500 mm.

Soil requirement for Australian Teak :- Australian Teak grows best on deep, well-drained alluvial soils derived from limestone, schist, gneiss, shale etc This species performs very poorly, in terms of growth and stem form, on dry sandy soil, shallow soil , acidic soil derived from laterite or peatbog, and on compacted or waterlogged soil.