• Category: Cooking Queries

Sweet recipes with poha

Interested in some sweet recipes? Searching for any recipe for making sweet delicacy with poha? On this Ask Expert page you can get answers to all your query.

Can you please provide me few sweet recipes with poha? I know only hot items like pulihora or dosa with poha but I have never tried a sweet with poha.

I have one full pack of organic red poha and I want to try out some really tasty sweet recipes with poha. Can you give me the recipes of few sweets that we can make with poha?
  • #142033
    There are some excellent savoury dishes that can be made with poha, perfect for breakfast or as a snack. However, since you want a sweet dish, I am providing a recipe here. It is quite a laborious procedure, so attempt it only if you have both time and patience. This is a Bengali sweet dish. The sweet should be shaped like a pointed gourd.

Dood Puli

Ingredients:
    • 250g Poha
    • 20g semolina
    • 1 grated coconut (can use desiccated ones too)
    • 2 litres full cream milk
    • 250g jaggery (preferably date palm)
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • 4 Green cardamom crushed
    • 200g ghee (you can use oil too, but if you want a rich taste stick to ghee or a combination of ghee and oil)

Step I
    • Keep aside one cup of milk, and set the rest to boil
    • Add ½ the cardamoms into the milk
    • Reduce The milk to half (keep stirring or it will begin to burn)
    • Sprinkle water liberally on the poha and keep aside (you want it moist)
    • Mix semolina in the cup of warm milk, and set aside
    • Grate jaggery or cut into slivers

Step II
    • In a heavy bottomed kadhai mix the coconut, with half the jaggery and balance cardamom. Ensure that they are well blended
    • Set the kadhai on a low flame, and cook the ingredients, stirring continuously, to avoid them burning
    • Turn off the flame when the mixture begins to move in a mass – allow the mix to cool

Step III
    • The poha you soaked should by now be soft. Take little at a time and mash it well to make it into a smooth pliable dough. Do this to the whole poha, make sure there are no grainy pieces in it
    • Add to this the semolina soaked in milk and the rest of the jaggery
    • Mix all the ingredients and make a dough

Step IV
    • Take a portion of the dough and shape into a ball
    • Use fingers to flatten it, cup your palm so to create a cavity in the flattened dough
    • Spoon the coconut and jaggery mix in the cavity and close the flattened piece of dough to form an elongated shape
    • Ensure the coconut and jaggery mix is nicely encased inside the dough. You do not want any gaping holes
    • Shape the rest the same way. You can give any shape you want, but the traditional shape is elongated

Step V
    • Heat the ghee in a kadhai
    • Fry the poha/jaggery stuffed pieces in the ghee, until they take a rich golden colour

Step VI
    • Bring the reduced milk to a boil and add sugar to it and mix well
    • Once the sugar dissolves add the remaining jaggery
    • Adding jaggery thickens the milk a bit and the sugar prevents the milk from splitting
    • Add the fried poha/jaggery pieces and continue to let the milk simmer
    • Keep stirring gently, or the mix will burn
    • Cook another 8-10 minutes on low flame
    • Remove from flame
    • Cool and serve
    • Can be refrigerated too before serving, but is generally served at room temperature

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

• #142043
    You can make 'gujia' using the filling mentioned in the Dood Puli.

Prepare the filling as described in my previous post. You may also add some chopped nuts and dry fruits to the mixture, or a little bit of crushed fennel. Don't include the cardamom, if adding fennel.

Ingredients:

• Mix for stuffing
    • Maida
    • Ghee
    • Sugar
    • Water

Method:

• Knead maida into a stiff dough, using a little ghee and water (the way you knead a gujia or samosa dough)
    • Make a thick sugar syrup using sugar and water in 1:2 ratio (ek taar ki chashni – one thread sugar syrup)
    • Take a lemon-sized dough piece and roll into a round
    • Place the filling on one-half of the round (or cut the round into two and make a samosa instead, using the filling)
    • Deep fry the gujia/samosa in ghee to a golden brown (use oil if you want)
    • Dip each gujia/samosa into the sugar syrup and leave them in there for 10 minutes
    • Remove and serve

Underestimate me...that'll be fun!

• #143240
    The simplest sweet recipe I do with poha is:

Ingredients:
    Poha
    Warm milk
    Sugar / Palm Sugar/ Jaggery
    Banana

Mix all the ingredients and sweet, healthy snack is ready to eat.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

• #143242
    I had a simplest sweet recipe using poha, In Tamil Nadu we say this poha as aval, My father make this sweet for me in my childhood and also now a days.
    Ingredients:
    Poha (required)
    Palm Jaggery or palm sugar (required)
    Water
    Coconut flakes
    Method:
    1.Take a pan add water and allow to boil it then add palm sugar or Jaggery allow to thicken.
    2. Add it to the poha and mix it well finally add coconut flake make it like ball and serve it.
    its a delicious recipe and simple method to prepare it.must try this recipe and replay me.

• #143243

hi friend,
    I had a simplest sweet recipe using poha, In Tamilnadu we say this poha as aval, My father make this sweet for me in my childhood and also now a days.
    Ingredients
    poha (required)
    palm jaggery or palm sugar (required)
    water
    coconut flakes
    Method
    1.Take a pan add water and allow to boil it then add palm sugar or jaggery allow to thicken.
    2.Add it to the poha and mix it well finally add coconut flake make it like ball and serve it.