• Category: Networking

Port Forwarding/Communicating with ESP8266-E

Interested in programming a wifi microcontroller module? Searching for methods of doing so? On this Ask Expert page, check out responses to your queries.

I have a Desktop Lenovo PC with Intex 11n USB Wifi module (Realtek 8192CU) linked wirelessly through an Ethernet modem/router (GLB-502T, ADSL2+Router) to BSNL wired Broadband. It can be logged into using default Address 192.168.1.1. To connect to GLB-502T wirelessly, I have used a Tenda Wireless N300 Router Model FH330, whose WAN port is physically connected to WAN port of GLB-502T using ethernet cable. Tenda router can be logged into using default address 192.168.0.1. My Intex USB Wifi adapter indicates its IP address as 192.168.0.101 (range 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.150, has been set aside for LaN connections by me in Tenda router settings. Please note that Tenda Wireless N300 Router does not have any in-built modem and that is the reason for my using GLB-502T modem with wired broadband connection from BSNL

In the above mentioned complex situation, how should I program a commercially available Wifi Micro-controller module ESP8266 to gain access to it wirelessly and make it part of my home network with an address in the range of 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.150.
  • #145419
    You are interested in programming a wifi micro-controller module.Yes you can program a commercially available Wifi Micro-controller module ESP8266 to gain access to it wirelessly and make it part of my home network with an address in the range of 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.150 for your asked problem.

The ESP8266 is a low cost Serial-to-WiFi module that interfaces nicely to any microcontroller. However, a word of caution -- it is highly undocumented.he ESP8266 has a full TCP/UDP stack support. It can also be easily configured as a web server. The module accepts commands via a simple serial interface. It then responds back with the operation's outcome.

Hardware Setup can be done in following way :-

>> Connect the RX/TX pins in a 3v3 FTDI cable to the TX/RX pins in the ESP module.
    >> Connect a 3v3 power supply to the VCC/GND pins.
    >> Connect the CH_PID pin to VCC as well.
    >> The rest of the pins should be floating. However, be prepared to occasionally ground the RST pin. This would help if the board is stuck on some command.

Software and testing of your program: Follow steps that are given below :-

>> Clone this repository: https://github.com/guyz/pyesp8266
    >> Unzip and execute the following command: python esp8266test.py
    >> You should see a bunch of commands going through, including a list of available APs.
    >> Ping the IP address . then you got it working and can start doing cool stuff!

Use programming :- send_cmd( "AT+CIPMUX=1" ) # multiple connection mode
    send_cmd( "AT+CIPSERVER=1,80" )

To run this module, issue the following command in the right directory: python esp8266server.py