Need guidance to become an astronomer

Aspiring to become an astronomer? Searching for career guidance online? On this ask Expert page you will find responses from experts.

I am in class 10th. I want to become an astronomer. Can you suggest me that what all steps should I take in future to achieve this goal and what all courses and university I have to go? I also want to know that what should I do after 10th.
  • #143024
    You have to complete your graduation in science stream with Physics as one of the subjects.

After this you apply for admission in M Sc in Astrophysics. This is available in many colleges and universities specially near national observatories.

After Astrophysics post graduate degree there are research opportunities as well job opportunities in big national institutes (example - TIFR in Mumbai).

Astronomy is an interesting subject and you can start night sky observation and reading general articles on stars, galaxies and universe and prepare yourself for the career you wanted to opt.