I want to join genetics without having studied biology in +2. Is it possible?

Whether you can do higher study B.Sc Genetics without taking Biology subject in +2? Learn all related details here in this page.

I am studying engineering stream so I have not taken biology in +2 but I am not interested in the stream which I am studying now . So I want to study BSc genetics. As I have not taken biology, in +2, they say I cannot take genetics. Is there a way for me to take genetics without taking biology. I need answer for this question. Please help me
  • #143009
    Since you did not opt for Biology at 10+2 stage, your possibility for admission in B.Sc ( genetics) is not possible. Though there are numerous universities offering this course but the criteria for admission has been set such that the aspirants should have passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology with a minimum 50 percent aggregate. Some universities even conduct their Aptitude - tests to screen the aspirants.
    Biology is cmpulsary for admission in B.Sc( genetics) since there are different subjects such as Cell- Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Microscopy, Model - organisms, Cloning and Biotechnology etc for which you should have conceptual clarity in Biology.
    There are some streams in Engineering such as Chemical - engineering, Aeronautical - engineering which may fascinate you. Try to change the same with the consultation of the authorities. In that way, you can develop interest in the chosen stream.

• #143648

I think that you are not completing the 10+2 and i suggest you to first complete the 10+2 and then participate in N.E.E.T examination for better courses or do the degree in a better college and sure you will become the best in your field.

Delete Attachment

• #143649
    Genetics is a branch of Biology. To study this subject, knowledge of Zoology, Botany and other related subjects/branches are essential. So, it is not possible to study Genetics without studying Biology at X+II level.

It is for information that Genetics is not taught as a full-fledged subject even at M.Sc. level. M.Sc. is possible in Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Molecular Biology, etc.

• #143712
    For admission in BSc. in Genetics the pre condition is that you must study Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 10+2 level and must posses at least 50% of marks in your aggregate. But from your question it is clear that you did not have biology in 10+2 level so you are not eligible to get admission in BSc. Genetics.
    But you do not loose hope you can read frequent books on Genetics for your own interest but the degree is not possible for the concerned subject as it related with zoology, botany and chemistry.

• #145660
    Genetics is a biology related course and hence fundamentals of biology must be known if you want to understand the concepts of genetics. If there is a course or some coverage in biology at the plus two level perhaps it may be sufficient. Of course, the University must approve the same.
    I can share my personal experience here. I did my B. Sc in Mathematics taking Statistics as a subsidiary subject. After completing the degree I opted for M.Sc in Statistics. In this course there is one paper in Genetics. However, this paper introduced genetics to the extent that the application of Statistics is possible. I did not find any difficulty in understanding the concepts of genetics. The concepts such as inbreeding, random mating population, etc.were clearly followed by students like.me who had mathematics as background. Hence if the University allows studying for genetics course may mot be a problem.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC