Scope of Building Information Modeling (BIM)

Want to know what is BIM? Searching for its scope? Find advice from experts on this page.

I am a Civil Engineering student who has just completed BTech degree from Kerala. By the end of my course I started to have interest in drawings, modeling, visualizing and wished to do such architectural stuff. Then I came to know about BIM which includes softwares like Revit, Automax 3D and plenty more. I found these softwares much interesting as it involves modeling and evaluation.

So I just want to know that how much useful are these softwares in present construction field in and out of the country? Is it beneficial by doing a short term course on them in CADD Center, United NDT training and Inspection Center or any such places? If yes, then what all are it's scopes and how can I make this certificate useful ?