Scope of M.Sc Software Systems Integrated 5 years course

Have a query about M.Sc. Software System course? Looking out for details? Find responses from experts on this page which can resolve your queries.

My daughter has completed her plus two this year in 2017 and is planning for further education in Computer Science related studies (B.E CS&E). As her cut off marks are 175, I don't think any good reputed (first tier) Engineering colleges will allot her seat on merit basis. Also she does not want to join by Management quota in any good reputed college.
    We have booked her a seat in Kongu Engg. College, Perudurai,Erode(Dt),Tamilnadu, for M.Sc Software System (5 years integrated course) through merit basis.
    We have discussed about this course with various scholars and people who are working in this field. We came to know that this course, though it is not a professional degree like B.E (CS & E), is almost equivalent to B.E (CS&E) and gives more practical exposure than B.E (CS &E).And it has more value than B.E as this course has two internships which makes them more employable.
    But some scholars are saying that this course M.Sc software System would never be equal to B.E and asked us to go for BE.(CS & E) even in some second tier colleges.
    I have got a little confused and I would like to know your suggestion about which course will be better?

Thanks & Regards,
    V.Subramanian
  • #143345
    M.Sc integrated course in software system is not very well recognised. Because this course is offered by very few universities. You enquire whether any industry is coming to that university for campus Interviews. As you said the course may be better than B.E/B.Tech (CSE), but recruiters may not be having a good idea about this course. So you should ask the college what Organisations are coming for campus selections of this students. How many students of last batch got employment and in which Organisation. Once you get the feedback from college analyse the information and then take a decision. Otherwise it is better to get her admitted to B.Tech/B.E (CSE) in a second tier college.
    If campus interviews are there and employment is good for earlier students you can get her admitted to integrated course.

• #144047
    In response of your query I just providing my personal opinions. As I am from the same computer field I think that Software system is not a very popular course and not at all well recognized. There is not a such a scope of good job as it is well recognized. So, my advice is to go for any BTech. degree in the relevant field. You can choose any 2 star engineering college for your daughter as it will be more relevant. Once she completes BTech. course she can get some good jobs through on campus interviews which offers her good pay package. She can then opt for teaching jobs also.
    So, I think that MSc. in software systems will not be such a good career option for your daughter.