Choose between B Sc (H) in Mathematics from DU or drop from BTech from IIT

Confused what to do after 12th? Need career advice to choose between mathematics and Engineering? On this Ask Expert page you can check out guiding responses.

I have passed 12th in 2017 with aggregate 92% marks,Maths-98, Computer-99, Physics & Chemistry-92 each.
    I am confused what to do after 12th:
    B.Sc (H) in Mathematics from DU or drop one year to prepare for IIT.
    Can I go for for B.Sc from DU after one year?
  • #143177
    Did you not write this year IIT entrance test. If so what is the result. What is your present age. If you drop one year for IIT coaching, you will loose one year of your service because you are acquiring the degree one year late. As such it is better to join B.Sc.(H). But if you are not interested in that, you can try for IIT next year. My sincere suggestion is join in B.SC(H) and simultaneously you can go for IIT coaching also. If you are getting admission to IIT it is OK. Otherwise you will get promoted to 2nd year and any backlogs you can complete during your 2nd year B.Sc.

• #143676
    Well, it depends on your areas of interest, whether you are genuinely interested in learning maths as your core subject or not. Because, if you waste one year of your precious time on jee preparation and then can't clear it, you will be disheartened , so try to estimate your capabilities.

• #144122
    You do not have specified your interest. But giving 1 year drop is not a fruitful idea I think. In my opinion there should be a plan A and plan B.
    Plan A is to take admission in BSc. math and plan B is then take coaching for IIT entrance simultaneously. The benefit of this plan is if you do not get a rank in the entrance exam for IIT, you will not loose a year. You will get promoted to the 2nd year and then you can clear your backlog.
    It will sure save 1 year of your career which is very much valuable.

• #144514
    Yes i fully agree with Anosua M when we are going with pre planning in our career we never loose anything