• Category: Books

Which book on Bhagwat Gita is the best to read?

Interested in understanding the principles of the Gita? Looking out for the best book? Here, on this page you can check out suggestions from experts.

I want to read and understand the principles given in the Gita by Lord Krishna. I want to understand it fully. Do you know any book on Gita which is very easy to understand and at the same time gives complete principles in a meaningful way? Can you state the name and author of the book?
    Also, give your reviews of that book.
  • #143696
    Bhagavat Gita has eighteen chapters and about 700 slokas. Any number of translations and explanation has come on Bhagavat Gita. Periodically there are discourses on Bhagavat Gita at various places by learned people. Great sages including Shankaracharya have written commentary on Bhagavat Gita.
    If you are a beginner and you do not know Sanskrit, it is better to get a Bhagavat Gita translation available in your mother tongue or the language in which you are most comfortable and well versed. Initially it may not be interesting and may not be easily digestible except the popularly quoted verses which we would have become familiar with.
    What I suggest is you may first have a basic book which gives direct meanings and summary notes. You may also have an audio version either as mobile app or in CD-ROM or otherwise recorded version. You may read while simultaneously listening to the studio. Repeated listening and reading may help to memorise the verses. Then you can go for a book with elaborate explanations. You may also use opportunities to hear the discourses on Bhagavat Gita like'Gita jnaana yajna' or similar occasions. Various audios and videos on discourses are also available .
    ISKCON have published many books based on Bhagavat Gita. I am also having one. However I would suggest that you visit a bookstore or ISKCON centres to physically see and select which one you would like to have first. Chinmaya Mission also has published books on Bhagavat Gita. Any ancient text becomes meaningful on proper explanation. The knowledge and understanding also goes increasing based on our knowledge and exposure also.
    Personally, for my references I am keeping with me a basic book with Sanskrit original and its transliteration in mother tongue (face to face in opposite page) and with verse meaning. I also keep a couple of other books including that of ISKCON where there are broad philosophical explanations and notes.

• #143716
    As rightly said above there are a number of translations of Bhagwat Gita by renowned writers. It is better you visit some big bookstore or some specialized book store which keep religious and spiritual books and select one that suits for a beginner.

The ISKCON book is also quite good as I have personally gone through some of it's content.

Even in internet there is lot of literature available and one can choose as per ones requirement.

You may find some difference of interpretation from one book to another as while translating from Sanskrit to other language this may happen specially with change of the writer-translator explaining the meaning as understood by him.

• #143720
    Gita Press Gorakhpur has published a book of Gita. In that book they have given Sanskrit SLoka, Word by word meaning of sloka and summary of each sloka. The discussion is very elaborate and given in a very simple language. I have purchased one book of Telugu translation. But similar books are available with English or Hindi explanation and summary. This book is very good for the beginners and can be easily followed. You can try that.

The audio of Ghantasala in Telugu is available. It is very good to hear. He will recite the selected sloka and explain the meaning in Telugu. I don't know whether you are conversant with Telugu or not. It is a nice audio.

• #143752
    My Mom everyday reads a Gita which she bought from a Gita Press shop. The book is very easy to read. The main verse was written in Sanskrit and English. Then it was translated into our mother tongue which will help you to realize the real meaning of that verse.
    There are so many versions of the book with different language and available in a very reasonable price.

• #143919
    Satya Sai baghavath geetha book is the best excellent read for other geetha book. This book of pictures has very reality. When we study this, we are induced by the intellect. The geetha has started to read the first page of this book and start reading the last line of End the Book. Continue to read this book to the body has one mindset and to avoid unwanted consulting to be in your health. Geetha slogan to write and spoke daily to be an immune of the body. I write in Simple Geetha slogam

Yada yada hi dharmasya glanirbhavati bharata
    Abhythanamadharmasya tadatmanam srijamyaham

Paritranaya sadhunang vinashay cha dushkritam
    Dharmasangsthapanarthay sambhabami yuge yuge