• Category: Science

Can I get job in NASA? How to become an astronaut?

Want to make a career in astronomy? Wondering how to go about it? Read the inputs from experts on this page and get answers to all your queries.

I'm in 11th class with Sci-Non med and I have a great interest in technology and space. I want to become an astronaut or get a job in NASA.
    Can you tell me how can I become an astronaut and how to get a very good position in NASA?
  • #143742
    I congratulate you for having a focussed dream of your career at an early age.

If you want to make your career in this line you will have to pursue Physics and Mathematics and in graduation and postgraduation selecting astrophysics/ astronomy as your specialized subject. Only thing is it may not be available everywhere so you may have to apply in the appropriate college.

Another thing is there are some big research institutes and colleges where astrophysics is a full fledged subject. You have to try there for admission. Some of the top institutions for Physics and Astrophysics/ Astronomy are as follows -
    1. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
    (IIT-B)
    2. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai (TIFR)
    3. University of Delhi (DU)
    4. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc)
    5. Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D)
    6. Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
    (IIT-M)
    7. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-K)
    8. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (BHU)
    9. Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bengaluru
    10. Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (IMC)

One thing whether you have interest in astromy as an hobby if so it will help you in your career.

Once you complete your higher education in astronomy you can apply for research or job even at NASA. There are many Indians working in NASA.

• #143761
    My suggestion is to join in integrated M.Sc., Physics after your +2 in Birla Institute of Technology. They have specialization in astrophysics. BITS is a very famous institute for higher learning. Once you complete your course try to aim for Joining in Indian space research organisation as a Scientist. ISRO is also a very famous world class organisation. While working there try to apply for NASA as and when the opportunity arises. Your experience in ISRO will be helpful to you in getting a job in NASA. I know one or two persons from ISRO gone to NASA.
    All the best to you.

• #143867
    You can not get into NASA without exceptional knowledge , USA work permit or citizenship. I would recommend you should start with getting undergraduate admission in USA. After graduation look for research in space technology and do post graduation. Like every organization there are positions in NASA , you will need to qualify to get job there.
    If you are Indian Citizen then you will have better opportunities in ISRO and you can do better for country. All the best.