• Category: Tax Planning

How to get challan number for self assessment tax paid online?

Want to get challan number for tax paid online? Looking out for the procedure to do so? On this Ask Expert page you can check out resolution to your queries.

I need to pay Rs. 750 as self-assessment tax during my online efiling return. I have tried to pay it yesterday evening by SBI net banking but the message showed that transaction will be processed tomorrow. Today the said amount is deducted but the challan number and other BSR code are not generated. The statement is having reference number only but does not have BSR code and challan number. How to show my tax payment in return while submitting it?
  • #144064
    If you have paid the self assesment tax and it is received in IT site then you can see it in form 26AS by logging to efiling site.

Once it is reflected in 26AS the system will take it in consideration and you can submit the online return after which you will get the acknowledgement which you can verify online through Aadhar number by getting an OTP in your registered mobile number.

If you can not do the verification through Aadhar card you can do it through netbanking.

• #144101
    Your question is how to get challan number in case you paid tax online, there are two way by which you can get challan number of tax payments online.

1. first way when you would have paid your tax then you would have open your bank account i.e. from which bank you would have paid your tax. So go to your bank online and login with id and password and search that transaction and get receipt of the same accordingly identify the challan number.

2. it is a best way but it is little bit lengthy as per the first way.
    In this way you have to login in income tax department with your pan number after that you have to go in form 26 AS page and select Assessment Year for example if you want to see challan number of AY 2017-18, select the same Assessment Year. After that scroll down the mouse and you will find details of tax paid just click on it and you will find all things related with your tax payment.

i.e. challan number, BSR Code, Date of Tax Deposit, Amount of Tax Deposit.

Dev Kumar

• #144106
    Thank you for your reply, Dev Kumar. I did first option i.e. try to find out the receipt of the self-assessment tax but transaction details are only shown. Nowhere it is mentioned about challan number and BSR code.

I have also looked into the 26AS page but it is also not showing the details. How much time it will take to reflect the details?

Paresh B. Gujarati