• Category: IT jobs

What should be my motivation for working in any field?

Wondering why one should work? Searching for the reasons for being motivated to work? On this page, you can check out advice from experts.

I have always asked this question to myself: Should I work because I love to work and should not be bothered about what my employer pays me or should I have high expectations from my employer for my quality work?

The reason why I asked this question was one of my friends had enquired about the salary for a teaching job. They responded by saying that we should not expect anything for a teaching job. We should have the passion for teaching and we should not look at what they are paying.

Your expert advice on this would be truly appreciated.
  • #144180
    Unless we work for charity or mission voluntarily,salary ,remuneration or compensation is definitely one motivating factor for job. Career path, status and comforts,reputation etc are also motivating factors.

Theoretically job interest or job satisfaction can be said as a motivator. The 'passion' etc will be there only for the initial years. Then we get down to realities. We communicate with others, Discus and exchange information on various parameters like recorded pay, reimbursements, tax exempted compensation, 'foreign trip', incentives, entertainment, leave etc.etc.

Except for a very less number who may be engrossed in research, design or some new invention and development most others in general will be ready to be flexible or compromising on 'passion' and 'interest' if the other parameters are favorable.

In your case it is better to be realistic. Join the field for which you have interest and select the institution or employer in the same sector, which pay you better or at par but not low.

• #144182
    This is a very good question. Whenever this question is asked, majority of the people answer that we must work in that particular field which we like the most. However, in my opinion, it is only partially true. If we dont get a pay whcih is commnsurate with our effort, then gradually we will loose the zeal or enthusiasm. So, the ideal job is that which we like best along with a salary which enables us to meet our basic requirements quite easily.

So far as the teaching profession is concerned, nowadays the job is not that simple. Every teacher has to check lots of answer-scripts. The teachers have to go through hundreds of projects every year and are now duty-boun to complete the syllabi. The teachers have now been made accountable for unsatisfactory result of the students in his/her subject. Moreover, over the years, the teacher-student relationship has become very complicated. Considering all these aspects, the Government (both Central and State Governments) has improved the pay package of teachers of all categories during the last 10-15 years. But unfortunately, the schools in private sector have not been following the pay-structure finalised by the Government.

So, it is not correct to expect teachers would work with very poor pay-packet because of their passion for teaching. Such poorly-paid teachers would definitely accept offers of private tuition to make ends meet and consequently the students of the school would suffer.

• #144184
    This is a very interesting thread and definitely deserves an analysis.

Most of the people work for money, fame and position. That is their motivation. There are few or say very few who work for their passion. These latter people are so much engrossed for pursuit of their passion or hobby or interest that they suppress their desires for materialism. It is not that they do not understand the value or significance of the wealth but their deep interest for their motivating parameters again takes them away fromi common money making tasks.

Now sometimes there are some persons out of this chunk who excell in their hobby or passion and become super performers in their areas. Their concentration and focus results in this. In history there are many personalities who were poor and remained poor for quite a good part of their life time but masters in their line. Some of these people never came to limelight and died in the corner of their house while some got themselves quite famous and became great personalities.

Let me quote a few examples of such personalities from history - Munsi Prem Chand, Steve Jobs, Winston Churchill, Lal Bahadur Shastri etc.

• #144187
    Motivation. Motivation gives lot of energy to work. Motivation can be in the form of monetary benefits and the other type is recognition and position. But money is required for everybody to live in. To earn that we should have a way and many go for job. So the prime aim of job is to earn money. Unless otherwise you perform you will not be paid. So I think it is necessity to work and get salary. Our requirement itself is a motivation for us to work. Daily earner will be working thinking that he will get the money in the evening and he can have a drink in the evening. That is the motivation for him.
    But once you reach a stage where your needs are fulfilled and you are comfortable your money may not motivate you further. Some people may argue that no limit to earn. But I don't want to argue with them. But once you are done with your desires money may not motivate you. Then comes the other motivation factors. At this stage they have lot of influence on your performance. Job satisfaction is one of the important issue which motivates the individual to perform at higher levels. If you are very much satisfied the way things are going in your office and you feel like completing the work. You will work with more interest and zeal.
    The next motivation factor is appreciation and recognition. If your boss or super boss appreciates your work and your attitude in presence of everyone you will get motivated and your output will increase. An email of appreciation or a letter of appreciation work wonders in motivating the people. If you are nominated in a committee in your office or you are presented an award in a function in your organisation you will definitely in high spirits and show your full talent in the work and out put increases many folds.

Always criticising your subordinates will demotivate them. Their out put comes down. Really if some mistake happened with a particular person it is always advisable to call him separately and explain him where he has gone wrong and make him to understand the mistake and give him a chance he will get motivated and try and do a good job.
    Generally these are the things useful for anybody to get motivated.

• #144194
    I think main motivation for work and money should be tied to personal and spiritual goals. You should get some satisfaction from the field. That's something you have to understand that you should never chase work as a means for earning money. Money is important but if you chase it then it affects the personal and spiritual well being. So that way it may affect your health and mind. So the motivation behind any work has to compliment your personal goal in some way. For example working in IT should give you money that you need to do some things. Or if you choose to work as a lawyer, it should help you reach some goals say like helping people. You have to find motivation in growth and also in the bad days. You can't have a good day every single time you venture out. That's where you have to learn about how things work in real life. So don't be surprised if you have low motivation days, that's natural happens with almost every one of us.

• #144199
    A job where you help someone is always gratifying and we should definitely grab such opportunity if it pays also but the first thing we should ask few questions to ourselves also which are
    Is this job is paying enough to fulfill all the requirement we have for ourselves and all the financial responsibilities we have?
    If the answer is no we should not take such offer because feeling of compassion is worthwhile only when we our self are contented and happy, otherwise If we our-self are living in misery we can't pull someone else out from there misery specially when situation are related to finance and we will end up regretting such decision for whole of our life.
    And if answer to the question above is yes and a person is contended than he should definitely try such jobs.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

• #144201
    Motivation is the biggest force in our life which throttles us to work, to run and to reach our goals. It is that one single attribute which decides where a person can reach. Power and wealth they are the main drivers of motivation.

Why people are desparately trying to qualify in administrative services or why there is so much struggle and cut throat competition to become a political leader - the answer is power and wealth and they are the two targets which have lured the mankind ab initio.

Yes, motivation can be generated in few individuals due to their deep interest in certain hobbies or work and they may not be directly yearning for riches but these are exceptional cases.

• #144214
    I think all these things like do what you like, do only that thing which you are passionate about are just bookish and not at all applicable to real life. There is a rare chance that you will get a job in a field which you are interested in. Let me give an example. I am really interested in cricket and I am a quite decent player. I belong to a middle class family. Now if I think of becoming a cricketer, the odds of that happening are extremely rare. Passion is an overrated word. Money is a very important factor and it must be considered while taking any job. There is a saying that " one for the kitchen and one for the soul". One should base his/her life on this. Firstly, one should get a decent paying job for himself/herself that is one for your kitchen and using that money one can work on any other interest he/she have that is one for your soul. Say, you are interested in dancing and are really good in it. Now, if you try to pursue dancer as a career, there is a lot of struggle and even then you can't be sure that you will succeed. So first of all get a good paying job, get settled on your own so that there is no pressure from family as well. Then using your money learn to dance better. In the meantime, give auditions at various places, who knows you might succeed and even if you don't, what is the problem. You are well settled and side by side are even working on your interest. Believe me, passion is overrated. If your job and passion is the same, you are among the lucky few. Generally, it won't be the case. So don't get diverted by these bookish stuff and follow the practical advice mentioned above.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

• #144215

• #144495
    Well, we have to accept the very fact that we are all motivated by means of the quantum of amount we receive for the work done. There is nothing uncommon in this. In addition, job satisfaction depends on the nature of work we are involved with reference to the basic qualification we acquired. It also does matter to get motivated. These days we find Engineering Graduates opting for Bank Officers posts and it may be looking good by virtue of the perks they receive initially but desperation does peep in the long run with a simple question asking to self - what i have studied and what I am doing? When that question does arise, the element of motivation would be on decreasing side for sure.

Coming to the teaching profession, nobody would be ready to do any job without getting proper emoluments. It is not charity and one can't continue without any benefit even we do it on voluntary basis. These days teaching profession has become more lucrative than anyone else because of the emerging competition at various levels. Tghe word 'passion' would apply to all the fields and not confined to the teaching profession only. After all, one should be interested in his own field to excel in it and share his knowledge with others.

Jagdish

• #144689
    It totally depends on you as to what is the reason why you are doing the specific job. There can be variety of reasons associated with it. For e.g. a person may be working in a specific city and doing a job because he/she has family issue, the other may be staying in the same city because her spouse is working in the same city.
    There are times when you work for passion you may not get money.You might see many sportsmen of india apart from cricket who follow their passion but they have no money and some of them are even running a tea stall.
    It totally depends on one selves what he/she wants. There are situations when you get money, name and fame if you follow your passion. A very good example would be cricketers like Dhoni, Sachin etc. But all of them at some time have risked their live .Nothing is certain.
    So take your choice and follow your passion. There is only one life.