How to become an astronomer? Institutions offering astronomy courses

Do you want to know how to become an astronomer and the colleges that offer the courses in Astronomy? Please find out from our Experts here.

My son is very much interested in both computer science and astronomy especially in the field of astrophysics. Now he is in 10th standard, he has a plan to do B.tech in computer science and pg degree in astronomy.

My friend told me that all engineering degrees are eligible to peruse M.Tech and Ph.D in astronomy, is she right? Now I am residing in Bangalore so I want to know the details of organizations offering M.tech and Ph.D in astronomy, what about the scope for this field.
  • #144533
    My suggestion is to go for M. Sc physics with specialisation in Astrophysics. IISc Bangalore is offering this course. Many other universities also offering this course. BITS, Pilani is offering this course
    Doing M. Tech, in astro physics after B.Tech computer science is also possible.

• #144534
    For becoming an astronomer or astrophysicist one has better to take up the normal science stream and do MSc Physics with specialization in astrophysics. That is the basic qualification to be required if someone is interested to make astronomy as a career in research or job.

However candidates with BE or BTech having good exposure to physics can also directly join PhD programs of many top astronomy and astrophysics institutions in India. It is to be kept in mind that strong footing in mathematics and physics is desirable to excel in this area.

The job prospects are mainly in various state observatories and few institutions like TIFR (Tata institute of fundamental research).

Some of the top institutions in India where one can apply for research in astronomy are -

1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
    2. National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Pune
    3. Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
    4. Physical Research Laboratory, Ahamedabad
    5. Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
    6. Tata Institute of Fundamental research, Mumbai
    7. Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Banglore