Motor insurance surveyor are the professionals who assess the loss or damage of the motor and serve as a link between the insurer and the insured. As per as Insurance act all claims above Rs 20,000 must be surveyed by the surveyor professional.The insurance companies gives claims on the report given by the Motor insurance surveyors.The surveyors are independent professionals and these are licensed by Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority(IRDA). Surveyors work is to calculate actual loss and avoid false claims.
To become a Surveyor you must done any of these :
1. Any fellowship or Associate ship of the Institute of Insurance Surveyors and Adjustors (IISA), Mumbai.
2. Any fellowship or Associate ship of the Institute of Chartered accountants or Cost and Works Accountants.
3. A degree or diploma in architecture from a recognized university or institute.
4. A degree or diploma from a recognized institute of engineering.
5. A degree or diploma in Naval Architecture.
6. Possesses such other technical qualifications as may be specified by the regulations made by the authority.
How to get license for the Surveyor & Loss Assessor
The person who wishes to become a surveyor must pass a IRDA exam. After clearing the examination there is training for one year under A or B category surveyor for one year. There are 3 categories for the surveyor A, B and C. These categories are being awarded by IRDA depending upon the experience. A surveyor can work with any number of insurance companies.
(1) Every person act as a surveyor and loss assessor in general insurance business should apply to the IRDA for grant of license in FORM-IRDA-1-AF
(2) If the applicant is a company or firm then apply for FORM-IRDA-3-AF.
(3) The IRDA before granting license check whether the applicant is fit for the duties, responsibilities and functions of surveyor and loss.
(4) The IRDA satisfied itself that whether the applicant is eligible for grant of license