• Category: Hinduism

Having visions of Lord Ganesha

Wondering why you are getting visions of a God in your dreams? Searching for the interpretations of these visions? Here, on this page you can check out suggestions to your visions.

Can anyone help explain to me why I am having visions of Lord Ganesha? I am a Christian from Philippines. I have a long distance hindu boyfriend from India.
    Here is my question:
    How come that whenever I ask guidance from almighty, Lord Ganesha is the one will appear in my visions or sometimes I have a random intuitions of Him?
    Whenever I am praying or keeping my mind still like meditating he is the One who will appear and not Jesus or any Christian God?
    As if like its so easy to connect with Ganesha. My boyfriend is not encouraging anything about Hinduism yet I keep on asking him why I have that experience and he couldn't answer.
    I recently visited India and the temples: I loved the feeling and I can just connect to the Gods. I am so at peace in the temples, as comparable of going to the church.
    Why do I have this kind of feeling or experience?
  • #145784
    This is mainly due to your attraction towards Hinduism and Hindu Gods. You may be thinking more of Gods of Hindus and their Gods. You have told that you have visited Hindu temples. Any temple you visite you will see Ganesha there. He is the first God. In our poojas, before performing pooja to any God we have to worship Ganesha. This is a must. Our festivals every year will also start with Ganesh birthday. So he is the first God. So he may be advising you to worship him and he will do good you if you worship him. It is your thought process also brings you the idols in your dreams. So think and worship Lord Ganesha and other Gods of Hindus and it will bring a lot of happiness and wealth to you and you will lead a happy life.

• #145787
    Many times it happens that when we visit a new place and visit the sight seeing spots and visit temples then sometimes we are very much fascinated by their shear beauty and novelty.

This makes a great impression in our mind and then remains deeply embedded in our subconscious. Dreams are nothing but the reflections of our subconscious minds.

Naturally when you have visited some temples the Lord Ganesha might have influenced you much and now you are seeing him regularly in your dreams. There is nothing unusual in it.

Please do not feel perturbed with this. It only shows that the cognitive faculties of your brain are working properly.

• #145790
    The ways of the Lord are divine and its a truly spiritual experience. All religions look different by the basic principle of connecting with a Higher power, remains the same.

Many times, at a temple with Vedic chants, during religious festivals with the beating of the drums, normal common people like you and me go into a trance and immerse themselves in the God they believe in for few minutes and they come back to normal life. I have seen this a few times.

Given that you are coming from a different faith and the special person in your life is a Hindu for whom Lord Ganesha is a revered God. Given your joy and positive feelings, while connecting with your boyfriend, I think your spiritual experience is heightened when you are visiting a temple that is filled with noble energy all around.

In Hindu culture, almost everyone who starts his day, starts a new project, is facing a hurdle or even goes to a different temple, he or she always invoke the blessings of Lord Ganesh. Our normal minds like to dwell on our past experiences of peace and spiritual experiences.

Hence, I think you are blessed that you can connect with God and feel happy. Continue doing so, I would suggest don't go looking for answers in matters of faith, just follow your heart and mind. Lord Ganesh will certainly guide you, please continue visiting your Chruch too.

• #145804

Visions are the result of impressions and images got into one's mind. Out of the various inputs going into our mind,only a few stick hard and come to resurface quite often than others. Such subjects or objects may have some correlation to somether events in one's life or they might have impressed one much in one way or other.

In your case what I guess is that you might have developed some special liking to the deity Ganesh from what you have read , heard or seen. Even otherwise Ganesh is attractive to anyone especially children because of the unique combination of Elephant-human form. When one comes to know about the faith and belie related to Lord Ganesh, as the remover of all obstacles, unconsciously itself one recalls Lord Ganesh whenever one is starting on any new venture. Those who got faith naturally pray or yearn that the going be smooth without any hurdles.

Was your visit during Ganesh Chathurthi in India? Then your vision has a reason and cause. Even otherwise you have an affinity towards Hindu deities, as you say.
    There is nothing to feel bad or worried about your visions about Lord Ganesh.
    Now that it is a frequent occurrence,I shall suggest two things , which is just voluntary for you. It is only to give you a confidence and remove any hesitation, doubt or worry. Only because you have shown inclination by saying" I am so at peace in the temples"

1. Try to visit any Hindu temple nearby if available and pray to the Lord Ganesh picture or idol there in a suitable way as is custom there.
    OR
    You may tell your friend in India to visit a Ganesh temple or a temple Ganesh idol is also worshipped and do some offering in your name and confirm

2. You can recite yourself silently or read to yourself the following prayer lines which is chanted by anyone who starts a new venture. You can even start your day with these lines.

"Vakra thunda mahaakaaya;
    Kotisurya samaprabha,
    Nirvighnam kuru me deva,
    Sarva kaaryeshu sarvada".

(Addressing Lord Ganesh by his form, one ask him to enable all one's activities conducted without obstacles).

You may search internet or ascertain from your friend the correct pronunciation as the original is in Sanskrit.

• #145808
    Hello, am grateful for all of you in taking time answering my query. Let me clear this, I already have this connection to Lord Ganesha 2years beforehand, I am just amazed whenever I ask for guidance and deliverance, He is the one manifesting not the God of Christianity. I am in the medical field so giving treatment to people is my bread and butter so here's this whenever I face difficulties to my patients I will ask for guidance to God and he is the one will appear to my mind. Before I didn't gave weight on it, I thought it's just a random then until last week I made my 1st visitation in India and told my boyfriend that 1st thing will do is to visit a temple so we did, during every visitation in the temple I felt so much connected to the Deity and somehow I'm totally at peace to the environment.

• #145810
    Yes, I am going to continue praying to Lord Ganesha. I am not worry, I am just bewildered or awe and looking for answers Why I have this experience. I am an open person so that means I can pray regardless to what religion is God is God. After my India visitation I have now The idol of Lord Ganesha and put it where my Christian Idol is, so everytime I prayed again He is the one manifesting especially now if I have quite time his presence is so comforting. Is there any special ways of praying to Him because I am just doing it as the same as how I prayed in Christianity?

• #145813
    You are yourself almost very clear and firm and convinced.
    "I am an open person so that means I can pray regardless to what religion is God is God. "- Absolutely right. If everyone reaches this stage, it is ideal. However you should ensure that you are within the social and legal boundariess and norms of your place.

"Is there any special ways of praying to Him because I am just doing it as the same as how I prayed in Christianity?" For a normal person worship can be of many ways. One is mental prayer. That is silent(mouna) , without words coming out, but mind is focused on the target. Second is naama smarana- chanting the verses , mantras, slokas on the particular deity. Then Archana- offering flowers or similar permitted items while chanting names or verses. As per one's time, convenience, ability, one can restrict or enlarge one's methods. A small start is always better. Then once it is done regularly that becomes by-heart and easy.

As per Hindu belief and faith, the ultimate essential is that God is inside everyone,or 'Aham Brahmasmi". Hence individual prayer and worship with offerings by individuals is accepted and prime in Hinduism.

• #145814
    Thank you for your affirmation, I will do as what you suggest in my comfortable ways. Now my mind is clear??.

• #145815
    For obvious reasons, I would like to go anonymous for this post.

There is only one and only one living GOD, Bible clearly emphasizes that, so to say "Jesus or any Christian God? " as per your statement is not right. Let me quote verses from Bible for every word that I speak, for they are not words that I speak but from the Holy book written by the Holy Spirit.

"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.Exodus 20:3-4

Dear sister, you are not even supposed to make an idol of Jesus. Even that is a sin, as per the Bible.

Proverbs 8:33
    Listen to my instruction and be wise. Don't ignore it.

Are you a born-again Christian? Remember that, Christ died for our sins once and for all.
    Romans 6:23: For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Before turning your heart away from Jesus, please close your eyes and pray to him. Listen to his voice nevertheless choice is still yours. God has given us the freedom of choice, he had given it to Adam and Eve and he has given it to you as well. Don't run away from the presence of God, and don't discard the promise and gift of eternal life. Let me end with this:

Young people, enjoy your youth. Be happy while you are still young. Do what you want to do, and follow your heart's desire. But remember that God is going to judge you for whatever you do. Ecclesiastes 11:9

• #145818
    This appears to be psychological problem rather than fascination or belief. Something which can not be explained with material sciences.
    Other thing is seeing a God of another society or religious group is no worry. As we all know different groups worship different Gods but that almighty is one and only one. Though atheist people even deny that.
    So please take it in positive stride and whether you worship Lord Ganesha or Christ the objective is same.