What to do after doing Diploma in Civil Engineering

Looking out for suitable career options after completing Civil diploma? Confused between doing a Degree or short term courses? Here, on this page, find career guidance from experts which will help you to make an informed decision.

What to do after completing Diploma in Civil Engineering? I don't want to do B.tech. I'm still unemployed also. My age is 22 years. I want to do some relevant courses which will increase my job opportunities. I am from West Bengal. Can you provide guidance?
  • #145874
    You have passed Diploma in Civil. You are not interested in B.Tech. With diploma itself, you can try for jobs. There are many companies in private sector who are offering supervisor jobs to Civil diploma holders. You can try for those jobs. You can try for a course in CAD and CAN. These courses will make you more eligible for designing jobs. You can also do a certificate course in surveying. So you will get better options as a surveyor. You can do valuation jobs, the condition of building etc., once you do a certificate course in this you will get many opportunities as a surveyor.

• #145884
    Some of the options which I would suggest you are as follows: -
    1. There are government exam for Junior Engineer for which the eligibility id diploma. Keep in touch with the employment sites when such advertisement comes out.
    2. There are many private construction or cement companies like Jaypee ,ACC cement,Ambuja etc which also hire people with diploma.
    3. There are also instances when PSU and railways come up with advertisement which have diploma as the basic eligibility. Keep checking the employment sites
    Best of Luck for future

• #146188
    Since you mentioned an interest in doing relevant courses that may increase your job opportunities, I suggest doing INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS INDIA (IEI) COURSE IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. since you already have a diploma, you can complete the course in minimum two years. the institution is UGC and HRD recognized and you are eligible to apply for govt. jobs on BTech level. the degree IEI gives is equivalent to B.Tech. the main benefit of this course is that you won't have to attend any classes or college. you just have to give exams for subjects of your relevant course. these exams are held twice a year. so you can keep working while you do this. there are one month of practicals at the end of your course for which you will have to be present. after passing you will become a member of IEI. this membership is highly sought after and difficult to obtain. IEI chartered engineers are highly regarded in civil engineering fields.

• #146327
    My suggestion is to go for some higher studies in Engineering course. After Completing Diploma, you can seek for lateral entry in Engineering and you can join directly second year. Within 3 years you can complete Engineering Course and you can search for job. This will yield a better opportunity in-terms of Career growth and salary package.

You will face difficult to study any higher degree as part-time after joining in a company. So it is better to finish your studies first and search for a job. By having proper experience, you can start your own company related to Civil Engineering, may be after 5 years.