Preparation of the GATE exam.

Planning to prepare for GATE exam? Looking out for coaching institutes and exam preparation tips on the web? On this Ask Expert page you ca read responses form experts and decide how to proceed for GATE preparation.

Currently, I am in 1st year Engineering (Chemical). I want to go for MTech as soon as I complete BTech. Which coaching institute should I join if I am living in Pune? In which year should I start preparing for GATE?
    Now, the most important question, can I get off campus placement with the GATE score? My fist priority is to get a good placement after BTech itself but, in case I get a lower package then I would go for MTech.
  • #146062
    A good score in GATE is required for placements in government undertakings and Public sector undertakings. These days good MNCs and Indian companies are also looking for GATE score for offering a job. So GATE score is very important if you want to be in the core field. I suggest you start your preparation for GATE from your 3rd year B.Tech.Chemicals Engineers are having very good placement chances in good companies. A good score in GATE will add value and increase the chances of getting a very good job. If you want to settle in R&D organisations like ISRO, DRDO and CSIR etc., then your M.Tech will help you a lot. But if you want to go for manufacturing sector B.Tech with good score in GATE will fetch you a good job. Coming to the coaching Institutes TIME is one of the best institutes in this line. There are other coaching institutes are also there but I heard TIME is the best.

• #146078
    As you have entered the first year of your engineering course, this is the right time to start planning for the gate exam. Since first year will not concentrate much on the core subjects, you can begin to plan on how to prepare for the GATE exam. From 2nd year you can concentrate on the preparation. If you clearly understand all your core subjects from second year, then there is a great chance that you will get good marks in GATE exam. With respect to coaching centre, as I know Gateforum is one of the best centres which provides GATE coaching all over the country. There is a Gateforum in Shivaji Nagar in Pune city. You can read more details about this centre online and look for reviews.

Now coming to the placement, there are various public sector companies which recruit engineers based on the GATE score. You have apply for these companies usually in the year before you are planning to give GATE exam and based on your GATE score you will be called for further interview process. Some of the companies which take GATE scroe as pre-requisite are Power Grid corporation, NLC, DRDO, Atomic Energy stations, CSIR, etc., To get a complete list of companies which use GATE score for recruitment, please go through the article List of PSU's which recruit based on GATE scores

You can further go through the article GATE Preparation Tips for details of preparatio of GATE exam and GATE 2018 Application process to know how the process involved in applying for GATE exam.

Rizwan