• Category: Stock Market

What are the new changes in the tax payable in respect of Demat account?

Have a query about DMAT account? Want to know more about the rates of taxes and duties payable at the time pf purchase and selling of stocks? Here, on this page find advice from experts.

From 1st July, 2017, the GST regime has been introduced in India. After the introduction of new regime, I have noticed that the rate of various taxes and duties payable at the time of purchasing and selling stocks from Demat Account has been changed. I am now paying higher Stamp Duty, Security Transaction Tax, etc.

I would be grateful if knowledgeable Members kindly indicate the exact changes in Stamp Duty, Security Transaction Tax and other applicable charges in respect of transaction through Demat Account. I understand that there is no change in brokerage.
  • #146416
    Profit on stocks sold within 1 year from the date of purchase is considered as Short Term Capital Gains.Tax on Short-Term Capital Gains is at the rate of 15%.
    Loss on stocks sold within 1 year from the date of purchase is considered as Short Term Capital Loss. Short-Term Capital Loss can be offset against short-term Gains during the same financial year.
    Profit on stocks sold after 1 year from the date of purchase is considered as Long-Term Capital Gains. Long-Term Capital Gains is being exempted from tax since 1st September 2004.