• Category: Cooking Queries

Preservative for half cooked chapathi

Interested in selling half cooked chapatis? Wondering how to increase shelf life of the product? Here, on this page find advice from experts and decide how to succeed in your business.

Recently I started an instant chapati unit. But the chapati life time was not long. Can you suggest what preservative should I use to succeed in my business?
    Some others companies are having longer life time of up to 10 days at room temperature.
  • #146430
    You want to sell half cooked chapatis and you want to add some preservative to extend the life. The Food Safety and Standard (FSS) Act permits only the use of sorbic acid as a preservative in ready-to-cook chapatis. The chapatis must be stored in refrigerated condition under four degrees centigrade to have a shelf life of 15 days. It is better if you keep the chapati wrapped individually. Some people use baking soda but it may not give any storage extension. Only Sorbic acid is permitted.