• Category: Exam Questions

I am unable to memorize or understand Inorganic chemistry . What should I do?

Unable to understand the concepts of Inorganic Chemistry and can't memorize any point and struggling to know what to do? Our ISC experts would motivate you with few tips and go through the responses here.

I am unable to memorize or understand Inorganic Chemistry. I got stuck in my question paper in all questions of inorganic chemistry except 1 or 2 out of 10 questions. I am unable to do questions involving comparing ionization energy, comparing stability, making structures and then comparing bond angle,etc. Please tell me what should I do to improve it as I am finding Organic Chemistry difficult due to Inorganic Chemistry.
  • #146653
    For the students chemistry has proven to be a challenging subject and one must have the utmost concentration in the class as the main points to the subject matter are discussed by the teacher in the class and if the students happens to be casual and wont take the notes, then the understanding of the subject becomes difficult and alter boring too. Please ask your teacher to explain again or take private tuition for this particular subject. At the basic level itself you must become perfect because the future course on this subject revolve around the basic education of chemistry at the school level.

• #146654
    Of all chemistry subjects, inorganic chemistry is one subject which requires a lot of concentration on the subject. My suggestion is not to depend on only one book. There are many inorganic books of Indian authors in which they give the subject very nicely so that everybody will understand. You better go to the library attached to your college and look for the books on inorganic chemistry books written by our Indian authors. If you see those books you will find some chapters in each book are very simple to understand. Take those books and study. You can easily make it. As mentioned by Mohan basics should be understood properly. Once you are perfect in your basics the subject understanding will be easy for you.

• #146655
    This thread is shifted to AE section.
    Jagdish

• #146669

• #146678
    For me, Chemistry was very interesting during my student days. However, I had to discontinue Chemistry after Graduation. In the present case, I don't know in which class you are studying. However, I am giving some general guidance:-

(a) Learn the basics thoroguhly. The portions which you can't understand on your own, study from video lessons offered free by www.examfear.com. The videos of this site are extremely helpful.
    (b) Study the periodic table very minutely. Learn the symbols, atomic weight and atomic number of at least first forty elements.
    (c) Study the properties of d-block, g-block and p-block elements (if you are a student of Chemistry of XI-XII standard) thoroughly.
    (d) Try to memorise equations of elements (in your syllabus) with water, acid, base, oxygen, hydrogen and carbon.

Have patience and determination. You will definitely be able to manage Inorganic Chemistry.

• #146692
    Some students find chemistry and mathematics difficult to grasp and understand.
    There are many online free sites that you can register
    Kahan Academy is a good free online resource site that gives good basic knowledge of chemistry, English etc (https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry).
    Saylor Academy is a free online site that has basic lessons in chemistry and other topics, you can try it. https://legacy.saylor.org/chem107/Intro/

Many college teachers offer tuition for students who are lagging behind. Approach your favorite teacher or principal and request him for help, be polite and approach them often to show your interest in learning chemistry, they may arrange some extra classes.
    If not you have to take a paid tuition, maybe little expensive but would help you in the long run.
    Try asking around our neighborhood for the presence of a college lecturer or a retired teacher who is good in teaching Inorganic chemistry, if you are lucky you might get a good teacher who teaches to help a student free of cost.
    Whatever it is, don't lose heart, there are many of us who have gone through your phase and come out with decent marks if not a first class.

• #146731
    Different people have different aptitude. Some like biology but not maths while some like history but not geography.

In your case you may be liking some subjects but not chemistry specially inorganic. Now let us try to understand one thing clearly that what are our ambitions and goals. If you want to become a scientist or engineer you can not get rid of chemistry as it plays a prominent part everywhere.

Please try to understand that chemistry is a part of science only and until unless we inculcate our interest in it we will never be comfortable with it.

So to create interest and generate aptitude for this vital element of science you start reading basic books on chemistry like - every day life practical games in chemistry. This is only a suggestive heading and you will find similar in the bookshops. Read them and gather knowledge about this branch. Grab some fun with chemistry books. Read and understand the tricks there. Slowly you will start taking interest in chemistry.

You may have to work hard in the beginning but once you get hold of the basics you will love the subject.

• #146740
    Yogesh Kumar,
    I feel that chemistry is very difficult subject for you. I think your concept is not clear. So, I will suggest you to clear your concept by a good teacher of chemistry. You can find a good teacher at your near by areas. So try to understand the concept, specially atomic model and periodic table. These will certainly help you to understand chemistry easily.
    Chemistry is very interesting subject but you have to clear your concept first. I will suggest you to use digital medium for the same. You can find many videos to clear your concepts of chemistry.
    Hope this will help you.