Is it possible to join BE(Lateral entry) using ITI qualification

Want to know if ITI is eligible for engineering graduate application? Looking out for this information and the eligibility norms? Check out this page for advice and guidance from experts.

I have completed my I.T.I in 1989-1991. I am having working experience of around twenty years in various reputed companies and at present working in TANGEDCO. I have completed my +2 privately in third group (Commerce).
    I have completed my diploma in DEEE in Jaipur Rajasthan Vidyapeeth University (RVD), Rajasthan in Distance mode between 2008 - 2010. Then I completed my BE EEE course (Lateral entry) in part time in Karpagam University, Coimbatore in the period of 2011-2014. But last ten days before supreme court issued a judgement that getting technical degree from Jaipur Rajasthan Vidyapeeth University (RVD) through distance mode is not a valid degree.
    So my doubt is: As I joined B.E as lateral entry using this diploma, is my BE a valid degree or not?
    Is it possible to join BE(Lateral entry) using ITI qualification?
  • #146676
    As far as my knowledge goes the degree(BE/B.Tech) issued by Jaipur Rajasthan Vidyapeeth University is not valid But your degree is not from that university. So there will not be any problem if the university which has given you B.Tech is having valid recognition for its distance education mode degree. So your degree will be valid only.
    coming to lateral entry with ITI to B.E/B.Tech is not possible. But lateral entry to B.Tech with your diploma you can try. You have to write an entrance exam and once you qualify in that you will be getting a seat in the course.

• #146677
    Your case is little bit complex. The practice of lateral entry for IIT students to Diploma courses in polytechnic is valid. The lateral entry in B.E. second year by Diploma-holders is also valid. You joined Diploma second year by lateral admission. But in your case, you have also obtained your B.E. degree in EEE again by lateral admission in Karpagam University on part-time basis.

Karpagam Academy of Higher Education was established under Section 3 of UGC Act 1956. So, this is approved by UGC. So far, there is no direction from any Court on part-time Engineering courses. However, you may check the validity of your B.E degree from the University itself.

• #146682
    Your case seems to be somewhat complex and I must appreciate you for your honest labour.
    There was a recent judgement of the Supreme - court banning the degree of Rajsthan Vidyapeeth University but in your case, it is not applicable since you obtained a diploma from Rajsthan through Distance - mode.
    Later, you opted for Karpagam University, Coimbatore for your studies in BE in Electrical Engineering on part time basis. Now to be sure that your qualification is genuine one, you need to go to the university - site and check its recognition.
    An ITI aspirant cannot be admitted directly in an engineering course of a recognised university directly. One has to take admission in the Diploma - course first after clearing ITI and then on the basis of diploma, one can get admission in degree course of Engineering through lateral - entry.

• #146686
    you have chosen an accepted mode of lateral entry to the BE degree. As far as the SC ruling goes, it has suspended degrees awarded between 2001-2005 from JRN Rajasthan Vidyapeeth and three more institutes. So you would not fall into this as your qualifications, DEEE were from 2008-2010.
    Please find out students from your specific time period and write to the college and university under whose auspices the degree has been issued.
    The SC has also blamed the UGC for not tackling this issue. It has directed the AICTE-All India Council of Techincal Education to give the students between (2001-2005) two chances to clear the new AICTE-UGC test, with the expenses funded by the colleges and not students. If the students do not wish to take the exams, the fees collected by the colleges should be refunded hopefully by end of May 2018.

Please write to the university that has granted your BE also regarding your authenticity of the degrees. Once you get a positive reply, then you need not enroll to any other courses.

• #146729
    The supreme court has given very specific verdict for engineering degree from certain institutes that also in correspondence mode.

Your case is a bit different as you have done a diploma and then entered through lateral mode for a degree, both of which are not effected by the court order.

So you can carry on with your career planning as it is today.